Author Topic: pumpkins or squash  (Read 8278 times)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: pumpkins or squash
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:21 »
Somehow I'm reminded of "gridgardener" who was posting in a similar vein last year regarding San Marzano tomatoes.  Could be one and the same  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thegreatgardener=Gridgardener=Towerlightning=Rolet

Probably numerous other usernames too they are from the USA & they regularly try to make a nuisance of themselves on numerous gardening forums but luckily we always have ignore buttons we can use so we don't have to bother reading the rubbish they come out with.

BTW thegreatergardener fata comple means fates compass & fait accompli means a fact accomplished, your post would of made more sense if you had used the latter phrase initially. If you choose to use Latin whilst trolling gardening forums you really should learn to use it correctly e.g. Quo usque tandem abutere, thegreatgardener, patientia nostra?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 09:53:15 »

Furthermore, 'fait accompli ', as I'm sure Baccyman knows but kindly forebore to point out, is French not Latin.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 16:35:04 »
Not exactly Barnowl, I had misread tgg's post & thought that he had answered OllieC's question "what's a "fata comple"?"  with another smartarse response which I misread as "Fait accompli, it's Latin" I assumed he was answering in French to continue to attempt to sound more intelligent than he is so I was pointing out he had translated it incorrectly as much as anything.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2008, 16:40:25 »
... so just to clarify, you had misunderstood the full extent to which he was making a fool of himself?  :P

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2008, 16:45:19 »
Yes.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 17:16:24 »
Somehow I'm reminded of "gridgardener" who was posting in a similar vein last year regarding San Marzano tomatoes.  Could be one and the same  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thegreatgardener=Gridgardener=Towerlightning=Rolet

It's the same smart-arse attitude combined with really bad grammar and spelling.....which is why I referred to him as GG which is what we called him on the BBC boards for short even when he changed his name to try and hide. He doesn't contribute much, he upsets people, pushes you into fighting back then tells the moderator that you're being abusive to him. I felt sorry for him at first as he's obviously got some kind of problem but I soon got over that when people I liked were driven off the boards. I myself hardly visit the BBC boards anymore because of him. Fortunately here we do have the ignore button!

He's already accused me of abusive actions....well here (above) is a big one for him! it should get his knickers in a twist.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 17:29:40 »
ignore him  ;D
back to the subject, if it's a crossed squash/pumpkin, can I take it off or do I need to let it mature on the plant
last year, we grew butternuts (this is from a seed from one), small sugar, some of which went orange, others stayed mainly green, plus tondo and green bush courgettes..
it's growing by the minute, I'll take some more pics tomorrow

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 17:40:07 »
Sounds like your butternut just crossed with one of your other varieties. All the others on the same bush would be similar you could leave it to see it it gets bigger/changes colour it's probably immature anyway. You sure you didn't get your seed/plants muddled up that could explain it as well.

I am taking your advice it's the only thing to do here.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 17:44:55 »
don't think I can have got the plants or seeds mixed,I've only grown tondo and yellow corgettes, jack be little, baby boo and our own saved seed in squash/pumpkins  ???

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 17:56:06 »
Did your neighbours grow a different squash. I was looking at the female only flowers on my squash and courgettes today and wistfully thinking it would have been great if there was a male flower then I realised there was...over the fence, so hopefully the bees noticed too.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 18:55:19 »
possibly, lots of new people on this year so I can't remember who grew what  ;D
anyway, I'll leave them and see what happens

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 08:42:31 »
don't think I can have got the plants or seeds mixed,I've only grown tondo and yellow corgettes, jack be little, baby boo and our own saved seed in squash/pumpkins  ???

Isn't Tondo a round type courgette, similar to but normally darker than Ronda de Nice? I did think that summer squash were curcubita pepo and butternuts from curcubita moschata? We really need to ask Jeannine but I didn't think these would cross. However Jack be Little is a pepo so could it be that the seeds were mixed up and this is a Tondo/Jack cross? Not sure about Baby Boo - but I think that could be a pepo as well.  :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 08:45:12 »
this is the first year growing the jbl and baby boo so it can't have crossed last year, only with the small sugar, I've had a think and the only other squash that were grown last year were butternuts, there were only 2 of us growing any kind of squash, the rest grew courgettes,  :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 09:11:38 »
Small Sugar is a pepo as well it that helps at all.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 09:18:10 »
Picture it it helps for comparison

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 09:20:58 »
Which now comparing the two - your original picture is much lighter and rounder. When you eventually harvest this you are going to have to let us know what it is like - you could have developed a new variety - could call it manics munchkin pumpkin!  ;D

Ps I am going to copywrite the name just in case.  8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 11:50:47 »
Hi Manics.

Your small sugar,green bush and tondo would cross together, but they would not cross with the butternut. someone suggested it was a little gem, but this would not cross with either the butternut OR the first three.

I would just leave it on, the only thing you would need to know is if it was a summer or winter for storage purposes.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:52 »
Manics, just an afterthought try putting ity into a family.

Pepo. leaves and stems are prickly. fruit stem is  hard and has 5 sharply angular sides,can be bush or long vines.Seeds are white. ( Small sugar is one)

Maxima. Very long vines, huge leaves, leaves and stems are hairy. stem is round.soft. Seeds are thick and brown with cellophane coatings.

Moschata. Large leaves, spreading vines leaves and stems are hairy but fruit stem is hard  and only slightly angular,fruit stem flares out where it attaches to the fruit,  leaves are darker green than Mixta  and have a pounted leaf tip,small oblong seeds with a dark margin.( Butternut is one) The sepals at the base of the flower are arrow headed.

Mixta. Large leaves, spreading vines, leaves and stems are hairy fruit stem is hard and slightly angular, fruit stem fllares out but much less that Moschata , the leaves are paler green than Moschata and they have a rounded leaf tip .seeds are white with a cellophane coating.(Little Gem is one)..not Gem by the way . Thwe sepals at the base of the flower are generalt straight.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 16:20:52 »
thanks, everyone, sounds like a pepo, Jeannine, the leaves and stem are very prickly..here are some more pics, got 2 now, against fibre pots for comparison 
I hope it tastes nice,  ;D
 ;D ;D @ suzanne

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2008, 19:56:25 »
You guys know too damned much! You're bamboozling me!!! :o :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal