Author Topic: pumpkins or squash  (Read 8207 times)

thegreatgardener

• Acre
Re: pumpkins or squash
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 13:32:31 »
OllieC i am not talking rubbish. But after 20 years of experience in olericulture and plant breeding. I know what the results will most likely be. But if want I will make you a wager as to the result. 5oz 99.99% silver bullion or  5 oz of silver coins a fair enough stake for a wager on the subject.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 13:47:05 »
It's a deal - especially since I don't know what olericulture is. But a public apology for being so patronising will suffice when I win!

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 13:51:04 »

Olericulture is the science of vegetable growing, dealing with the culture of non-woody (herbaceous) plants for food.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 14:10:50 »
Yes, I read that on Wikipedia too. And it will make my smugness all the more smug!

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 14:24:45 »
so what will you give me when i win since I am certain my answer is a fata comple .

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 16:23:37 »
Er, since you know so much, you'll be aware that pumpkins are nearly always green when they're growing, and turn orange as they ripen. My point is that you have insufficient information to make your identification so I'm already right, even if you get lucky later on (which is highly unlikely).

And what's a "fata comple"? Some kind of dish made complete by the addition of greek cheese?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 16:31:24 »
Don't worry Ollie this guy usually gets kicked off boards, he won't be around to collect.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 16:46:45 »
sorry ollie wrong again pumpkins can start out both orange and  green. And the green can turn orange later but the ones that start out orange.never turn green.

"Fait accompli is Latin

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 16:52:18 »
Kea I only get kicked off board for retaliating against those who make personal attacks against me when they are proven wrong, when they are to to stubborn to admit they are wrong.

As for the wager 5 oz of silver is the bet. If you unwilling to take the bet and then admit you are wrong that will be end of it.

It only a simple bet of about £50.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 17:12:11 by thegreatgardener »

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 17:19:08 »
kea OllieC betula abusive language and actions like you are directing toward me is what has pretty much killed the bbc gardening boards. And is clearly against the rules here.
so try to behave.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 17:20:40 by thegreatgardener »

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 17:21:56 »
I'm not using abusive language. I was stating a fact.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 17:24:55 »
no but action are abusive. You really to learn what the word "and" means.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 18:44:51 »
First ever time I've used the "ignore" button.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 19:06:55 »
Somehow I'm reminded of "gridgardener" who was posting in a similar vein last year regarding San Marzano tomatoes.  Could be one and the same  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 21:02:51 »
Hi all. just to put in my two penneth, the picture could be anyone of a number of squash, therfore it would be impossible to accurately identify this one at this stage,however you can cut down the options a bit by deciding which family of squash it belongs to and comparing that to the seeds you may have had.

The foliage  is slightly different on the four families and is helpful in identifying the unknowns.

If anyone is interested I can post the differences for you.

Happy squashing!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 21:10:24 »
Welcome back Jeannine - obviously your computer is better now. At last we've got someone who knows what they're talking about....

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 21:17:59 »
Suzanne, you mention "de Nice" and I presume they are spherical "Ronde de Nice"

I am in Nice at the moment and cannot wait to get back next week to my "Longue de Nice" which, last year cropped earlier and then later than  traditional varieties such as Black Prince.

They also were not affected by mildew.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_courgettes.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 21:28:58 »
Thanks Trevor, I have finally got the blooming thing going, I hate new computers.

It would appear I have missed a few choice postings!!!

I think one of ther things I enjoy about squash is the potential for mystery, it can be quite interesting to find something new and watching it mature.

So many things could change between now and harvesting, size, colour, surface texture,shape etc, we should run a guess the squash competition one year.

I have some  new seeds from Oz this year that are only known in a very small area and am quite excited about those.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 21:56:07 »
Woohoo !!!!!! Don't have any pumpkins and my only squash are courgettes but never mind!!! Jeannine is here! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

How are you gal?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 22:04:25 »
Hiya yourself!! I am just great, finally got my fingers on a pooter, it has been a nightmare but finally I am back letting my fingers do the talking. It is amazing how useless we feel without one.

Counting the days to school hols, bet you are too.

I feel so out of date, so many new names too. It will take me till Christmas to catch up.

Hope you are well, nice to chat with you Anne.

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal