Author Topic: Squashes  (Read 2181 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Squashes
« on: August 03, 2004, 23:14:43 »
Should this be in edibles....oh well.... I have always grown a few squashes, but usually eat them when still young from the plants.  This year, on plottie, I have lots and lots of different kinds of squashes and I am hoping that some of these will store for winter and spring use.  In the past, when I have tried to keep squashes, they end up getting like mildew on the surface.  Is this because I pick them too early?  Should I leave all the squashes on the vines until there is a risk of frost?  And then, what is the best way to store them??

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Squashes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 23:29:03 »
What are squashies, is it a drink? ::)

Roy :)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 03:27:41 »
Possibly, EJ. I never seen a mildew like fungus on squashes but others, such as Botrytis will infect the tissue, especially that which is damaged or unripe. Assuming you are talking about winter squash, they should be harvested when the skin is hard (cured). This will be make them more resistant to opportunistic infection. Even if they are properly cured different varieties vary in their ability to store- spaghetti is probably the shortest storing of the popular squashes.
Storage will be longest when temperatures are held between 10-15C with at least 70% humidity, although home gardeners may not be able to achieve that consistently.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 18:44:59 »
butternut stores very well indeed....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 18:47:54 »
What are squashies, is it a drink? ::)

Roy :)

Of the Pumpkin family Roy...perhaps someone will post a piccy for you....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 19:15:24 »
EJ they do need to be cured to store as John points out. But would say the same as John, the shelf life varies!
Mine do a week or so just before the first frost (with a good bit of stalk on them) in the greenhouse, on the decking or conservatory to help harden up the skins,weather dependant!(thought they say say this should be achieved in the sun..wot sun!) then I hang them in nets, in the kids bike shed! (they like cool and airy)
Lose a few, but keep an eye on them and use up as is necessary! Keep us going for ages through the winter.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 22:40:11 »
Sooooper.  I did read that I should keep a fair bit of the vine attached, so I guess the only ones I will be picking for current use are the patty pans, courgettes, marrows and cucumbers.  Is it possible, towards the very end of the season, the keep a couple of marrows for winter use?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 10:55:22 »
EJ, think Marrows are similar to squash in that you mature them on the plant, remove before frosts. if you keep them cool they should last till Christmas..don't grow them myself. can't stick em! :P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 16:41:14 »
Cheers Alan, ;) I did feel a bit of an idiot to have to ask as I have only recently been interested in gardening of any kind even at my ripe old age.

Thanx again Roy ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal