Author Topic: Help please with gooseberry cuttings  (Read 1101 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Help please with gooseberry cuttings
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:15:45 »
Is it possible to take gooseberry cuttings?  If so, how?   Same as for blackcurrants - stick them in water and they will root or do they need to be planted in the soil?
twinkletoes

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Help please with gooseberry cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:24:55 »
well obviously not the optimal method but last autumn I accidentally snapped off one of the gooseberry branches. On a whim I snipped off the end more neatly and stuck it in the ground. While I cannot say it has flourished, it has obviously rooted as it has a few small leaves on it.  So I think it is definitely an in soil method you need. But probably with a bit more care than I took!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:54:34 »
Thanks antipodes - I'll give it a go.
twinkletoes

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 15:50:36 »
Antipodes has shown how easy it is. There has been a recent thread relating to Blackcurrants.

Both will grow with little care. I always wait until Sept/Oct when the leaves have dropped off. The traditional way is to stick a spade in the ground about 4-6 inches deep and lever enough to create a slit about an inch wide at the top.

Continue as long as you like to accommodate all your cuttings at 3 inches apart and if you are feeling generous, trickle some sharp sand loosely into the slit, although this is not necessary, but helpful to assist against getting waterlogged in clay soil.

Push the cutting in so at least 4 inches is in the ground, and top up with sand firming it down gently. LABEL if different varieties.

Why not take the opportunity now of walking round your neighbours plots and note which fruits are ready (it is easy with a digital camera which dates snaps), and those that are later, bigger or smaller, cooking or dessert and ask them for cuttings in early Autumn?

Success is guaranteed. Last year I had a 75% success rate with blackcurrants, so take plenty of cuttings, you can always give them away, and in these frugal times, a sturdy plant in a pot makes a great gift.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 15:55:58 »
I accidentally managed to spill soil on some of the gooseberry branches, lo and behold, 3 new gooseberry bushes, they rooted really well so I've tried it with a brick this year, it's worked,too  ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 15:57:44 »
You all make it sound soooooo easy.  I'll give it a go and hope to be half as successful.  I'd love to be able to pass around "spare" plants. 
twinkletoes

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 17:33:42 »
Hi Twinkletoes, Hi all,  :)

In my experience gooseberry and blackcurant sticks seem to root really easily.

If a gooseberry branch touches the ground it will root whilst still on the parent
bush. You can help it by pegging it down and covering with soil.
You then just seperate it when you are ready and it seems to have
enough roots. I don`t know if thats also true for blackcurrants because I haven`t
had any droop so much.

But after I pruned my gooseberry and blackcurant bushes last year I pushed the sticks into the soil at the edge of my plot where I grow daffs and tulips to make
a productive hedge.
I think they all rooted. I have clumsily clipped a few to the ground since
but I think they will regrow.

The ones I haven`t damaged are sturdy little bushes and will probably start
cropping next year.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal