Author Topic: Pumpkins - removing flowers??  (Read 1230 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Pumpkins - removing flowers??
« on: July 07, 2008, 16:28:42 »
My pumpkins are becoming rapidly triffid like. They seem to have LOTS of flowers - surely they will not all become pumpkins? Is there anything I should do to inhibit their growth? If I cut off the end, will that kill the plant or damage it? Should I leave all the flowers on it or reduce the numbers? I have Jap, Butternut and Queensland Blue pumpkins.
Thanks!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Pumpkins - removing flowers??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 16:49:39 »
I allow a maximum of three pumpkins per plant.

Once I have secured them by manual pollination (see here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Pollination/Pollination/pollination.html

I stop the leaders (runners)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 17:24:01 »
Hi Antipodes, Hi all,  :)

I never limit them as I`m growing for quantity not size and once the plants are too big for slugs to eat through the stems I pay them the minimum of attention.
I put a slate or something under the pumpkin if I see it to keep it dry on the bottom. When the weather is very dry in July and August I flood the whole patch but individual plants and their fruit are usually ignored most of the time, until harvest,

This year I have a new half plot which apart from courgettes and marrow is ringed with pumpkin, decorative gourds and butternut squash plants all aimed towards the middle. I am hoping they will make a interweaving mass of leaves and squash.

Mostly they are used at hallowe`en and they make fantastic chutney.
I eat the smallest ones in stew. I easily get more than I need and I have
a lot of fun with them for not much work.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 23:06:33 »
I don't limit mine either as again growing for quantity - I want enough to last me through the winter and well into spring. I ate the last one from 2007 harvest in May this year. Thye are one of my favourites as they keep so well - I have "dried" a Turks Turban from last year as it was really pretty and it is still in the conservatory - inedible now but decorative.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:48:53 »
Tee Gee this is first time I have seen this process explained so simply and clearly. Other web sites and books explain but without pictures. When you are new to growing vegetables you need good diagrams. Great pictures ...Thankyou

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:00 »
OMG pumpkins have RUDE BITS!!!!!!!!!!

So if I want lots of pumpkins (I agree, I want quantity not size, best to bank on having a few and losing some along the way!), I have to..dare i say it... give them an artifical bonk??

(sounds of yours truly fainting to the ground)

oh well, any good reputation I may have had on my site will go down the drain if I have to start encouraging vegetable sex!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks for those tips, yes I can see where I can put some straw etc under the pumpkins and perhgpas on one or two, nipping off the end would not be a bad idea.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:33:33 »
Antipodes dont forget to play some Barry White...you need to create the right atmosphere!! hehehehe

Duke ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal