Author Topic: Bloody snails  (Read 3642 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Bloody snails
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:24:49 »
The snails in my garden have been chomping away at my spuds in containers  >:( , so I went out the garden at about 10 o clock that night, there was snails everywhere, in the tub, climbing up it, on the wall, on the path and on the grass. I gathered them all up and put them in a bag full of garden waste from next door, the next morning I put more in and again the next evening, 92 of the buggers I counted.  :o :o :o     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Bloody snails
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:42:38 »
Was it raining.?best time to cop them :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 21:21:50 »
Grease  the outside of your containers! it helps. I use to use car mechanics grease but some use Vaseline!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 23:15:51 »
I JUST GO OUT WHEN IT IS DARK AND STAMP ON THEM  :o ;D

sean82uk

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 18:02:20 »
We used to have a gigantic snail problem. Every night was a complete invasion. The people next door had some work done and since then the problem has disappeared (bar the odd one). We used to put down pellets.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 19:04:30 »
I JUST GO OUT WHEN IT IS DARK AND STAMP ON THEM
No. Don't do that.  My next door neighbour has a brilliant idea.  He picks his up and puts them in the middle of the road.  He says "if they make it back.... they can stay" ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:57:49 »
Oop north I don't even think I've seen a snail (just slugs), darn sarf they're everywhere.

I was having a potter in my summer palace (Mum's old house) a couple of days ago and they had set up a breeding farm in the greenhouse.  I ran a nice salty bath for them and tried to teach them to swim.  They don't explode like slugs but a few did try and climb out.  I soon pushed them back in !

:P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:14:31 »
KP Don't you know when you are trying to teach something/someone to swim you are supposed to supply arm bands :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:17:28 »
can't find em wee enough lmao
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:45:59 »
I'm with Trinity on this one.. wasn't there a story about cars skidding on snails some weeks ago...  :-\ my record for one night was 500+... I stopped counting before I ran out of slugs and snails..  :-X

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:15:50 »
mrskp = you lucky not to have snails - the ones at our allotments are huge - im not joking - i believe they are the edible ones that the romans introduced to the uk - but dont quote me on that.  I treat mine to flying lessons.  I dont know if this is true or not its something my dads told me - but do these edible ones eat the other snails and slugs? is this true?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 10:19:58 »
swimming and flying lessons ?  aren't we generous, we'll be getting them ski-ing next.  ;D

I'm back oop north now and must say that even the slugs are a bit thin on the ground this year (and NOT because I've trodden on them  :P), perhaps they moved next door with the introduction of pellets (animal friendly ones).

don't care as long as they're not in my back yard.   :o :-X

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 12:11:26 »
I don't know Tartonterro, if they eat others but I have seen them on allotments in France where they are tolerated for ulterior motives  ;D

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 12:59:09 »
yea i had thought about that - but think fiancee would kill me it i could them at home lol

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 21:21:44 »
I'm just about ready to give up being pest-friendly, 'cause I've had a veg patch (three raised beds) in the back garden for three years now with precious little produce to show for all the hard work I've put in.  I just sickens me to go outside and see my cabbages, caulis and kohl rabi reduced to skeletons, while other crops don't make it through the seedling stage 'cause they're razed to the ground as soon as they germinate.  The frogs and hedgehog don't seem interested enough in the slugs and snails to keep the damage down.  I spend a fortune on organic seeds and compost and there's f*ck all to show for it.  :'(

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 17:01:22 »
This summer I have eight hanging baskets and one in particular has puzzled me these last few weeks as it does not look any where near as healthy as the others.

Last night I went out to water much later than usual and I saw an enormous snail on the outside of the basket, so of course on investigation I then discovered a further 17  :o

All chomping away on my lovely flowers  :'(

I have a place in the garden with a few stacked bricks where they like to live, I dont disturb them as everyone needs a home, but after spoiling my lovely flowers I thought that was just so ungrateful so for the first time in years, I have got rid of the bricks, cheeky little blighters  :-X

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 17:19:34 »
They were very ungrateful Honeybee,they deserve to be chucked out of their Des res ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 19:35:23 »
Summary execution would be more like it.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 20:35:17 »
Rule no.1

Never stamp on a snail when the ground is wet and muddy.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 20:41:09 »
A plot on our site has chickens. They love a big bag of snails to peck at.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal