Author Topic: Moles  (Read 1884 times)

tree-top

Moles
« on: July 02, 2008, 23:30:42 »
Hi

I am new on here and wanted to share with you all my latest find (you have probably heard it before) but here goes....

I bought a house with 1 acre of land in September and have established a vegetable plot.

I planted 2 rows of cabbages and they were growing well, until Mr Mole decided her was gonna tunnel directly under both rows. I set a humane trap but her was too wise :( and every morning i woke up to find the efforts of his latest digging session. Then i started having probs with pidgeons so i tied lots of carrier bags to my runner bean canes (near the cabbages) so they would rustle and flap and scare the pidgeons. Now i don't know if it is a coincidence or what but since i put them there Mr Mole hasn't been once!!! I was wondering if it was the crackling noise when the wind blows the bags or if the bags, when being blown vibrated the canes in the ground and scares Mr Mole?? Anyone know the answer?

Tree xx

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Moles
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 00:06:10 »
Hiya Tree-top! Welcome to the forum. We're all mad, hope you are ;D

Yes the mole. I seem to remember that a suggestion of a childs windmill on a cane stuck into the ground deters them. So does a wine bottle dug into the ground leaving the neck above ground. Humph. The latter does not work.......it pushed my bottle out of the way and carried on.

So I can see the bags having an effect as long as its breezy.

Good advice here..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas&feature=related
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:48:13 »
hiya, tree top, welcome to the site.. ;D
glad it works for you

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:51:11 »
Welcome to A4A.

tree-top

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:18:43 »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)
I'm only just getting into this vegetable gardening malarky lol so please bare with me if i post some dumb stuff while i'm feeling my feet  ;)

Star - Thanks for the link and the windmill suggestion (even if they don't work they'll make the plot look   pretty LOL

Tree xxx

tree-top

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:03 »
OMG!! I have just spent the last 10 minutes watching the link that Star put on here.

I have been laughing none stop!!
It reminded me so much of myself and all the advice i have had from friends!!
Thanks for the giggle  ;D

Tree xxx

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 23:59:12 »
Oh you'll get no end of useless information from me lol 8)............warms me heart to bring a smile to a face :D :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal