Author Topic: Vole catcher chicken  (Read 2651 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Vole catcher chicken
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:03:53 »
Here is a picture of my black hen who catches voles and eats them. 

On several occasions I have seen her running around with a vole in her mouth and all the other chickens chasing her.  I was a bit concerned Monday when I saw she had yet another one in her mouth.  We had put poison down for the rats and I wondered if the vole had been in the shed and eaten some of it.  I cornered the chicken to try and get the vole from her and in the process, she dropped it but I couldn't see where.  Within seconds my dog Meggie had found the vole and swallowed it.  I was then concerned about Meggie but have been watching her carefully for any abnormal signs and she is fine. 

I did web searches and found out that other chickens caught voles so I wondered if anyone else had a vole catcher in their flock?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Vole catcher chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 21:41:23 »
Voles don't move as fast as mice, and they'll have anything small enough to swallow.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 18:24:21 »
It does have a mean face. The sort of face a vole might fear.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 23:37:28 »
Yep,  maybe she scares them to death.   ;D ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:01:43 »
I had a broody maran a few years back, she was in the run and all hell broke lose. Mouse screaming and the hens like banshies.
Hubby and I stood and watched it. She got it and ripped it up and they all had some nothing left.
They say hens are vedgies ha if they see blood they go for it or red nail varnish. My toes went through it hurt like hell my lovely girls ha ha.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:41 »
I think I posted a picture many years ago of one of our hens with a mouse dangling from its beak.  They are omnivores rather than herbivores. They will eat anything, including each other!
Gardening is the great leveller.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:34 »
I think you did, they will eat each other thats where I found vicks vapor rub comes in handy one bite and they dont do it again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal