Author Topic: melon,or cucumber  (Read 9913 times)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: melon,or cucumber
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2008, 18:49:13 »
Of which you are the editor, of course  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2008, 19:02:06 »
redclanger the evidence of personal attacks against me is quite evedent and in very poor taste. I think. I will submit your and others stupid and imcompident posts the for publication in the magazine "Modern Jackass"
A poster's history can be very easily browsed on this website and every rude and insulting comment made by a poster can be clicked on so that its context and position in a thread can be made clear.  You are rude, arrogant and insulting before anybody else (who just respond to your insulting rudeness and arrogance) in just about every thread you have posted in.  Case closed!  And I speak as someone who is not whiter than white!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2008, 19:23:12 »
Oh my goodness, how sweet...a troll no less, they fetch quite a bit of money on e bay these days.I remember them well from the sixties, cute little things with long green hair and bulgy cute eyes. I used to love them..made my day being compared to one.

?? Personal attacks... I mentioned no names, I guess   no one knows someone as well as they know themselves..

But what does imcompident mean please?

XX  Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 20:33:19 »
He did this stupid Zucchini v's Courgette argument on the BBC board....as you say Jeannine during the last growing season!....it was boringly wrong then as it is now, as it is simply different names for the same thing, one French and the other Italian.

I tried treating him nicely there but it didn't work. I got fed up with people I liked being driven off the forum.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 20:57:43 »

kea so you claim I wrong prove you point instead attacking me.

The correct answer which I previous stated can be found can found on page 143 of book
"the compleat squash".
Aka zucchini's and marrows are not same thing.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 21:43:54 »
If my wife, who is a psychiatric social worker, saw this guy she'd probably get him a Section 3, which is six months in hospital for treatment. Meanwhile, let's all use the 'ignore' button and deny him any more of the attention he obviously craves. I'm going to. 'Compleat' is an archaic 17th-Century spelling of 'Complete', and in Izaak Walton's 'Compleat Angler'. Does he really have a book that ancient? Even in the US, the money he could get for it would probably pay for the psychiatric care he so obviously needs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 21:46:57 by Robert_Brenchley »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 23:51:49 »
 Just for interest!!

Page 143 of the Compleat Squash does in fact talk about the differences between a marrow and a zucchinni however...when Amy wrote this book she wrote it with an American slant  much like your "friends" Carolyn and  Craig did with their tomato books, the book quoted is one of about 30 books I personally own on squash and each reflect the views of their authors. I doubt if anyone least of all Amy  Goldman would  insist that every word she wrote could not be interpretated slightly different by readers other than those from America. To argue is folly. to keep an open mind shows the ability to learn and grow , this is something I believe Amy would agree with especially as she refers to size as being the deciding factor, not maturity, and as she states on the same page and I quote " everybody botches it".

The book quoted by the way is one which I frequently suggest to folks who have a love of all things squash, it is an excellent read with wonderful photography but from a gardeners point of view it is lacking in hands on  info for the beginner outside of America and the views and instructions contained in it's lovely pages are without a doubt better suited to a warmer climate than the UK. Amy is undoubtedly a leading authority on squash as she is on melons but being realistic the book  is better suited to the American market and not all the facts threrin are accepted worldwide as the definitive view.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2008, 04:46:53 »
the difference in question in amy's book was a direct definition of squash classifications. So it
does not matter who's  perspective  an American or British the book was written from since biological classification do not vary by country and Amy did not write the definition. she got believe when she consulted with  Dr Harry Paris, who I believe is Israeli.
I sent Harry Paris email  about the classifications in the subject area 2 years ago. If you are confused on the subject,I  suggest you ask him yourself.  Since, He is an expert on the subject
of squash.
Common usage is another matter.  Since small marrows may be used the same as courgettes in cooking but by the same manner when small you could use luffa gourds the same way. But when fully grown, a   luffa is not fit for eating at all.  Also People the USA may use a pumpkin to make pumpkin pie but if you bought canned pumpkin to make pie you would not be eating  pumpkin but a Hubbard squash.

Appearance is often confusing if don't know what you are looking for.

here is example that proves my point  in pictures in the book. 
Example 1
picture 106 on page 140 , picture 85 on page 110, picture 85 on page 142.
Without looking at the notes next to the pictures, which of the pictures is zucchini, which is marrow and which is neither.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2008, 09:28:23 »
I'm not sure what is going on in this thread, or between the posters in the thread.

However, if everyone does not step back and act in a responsible manner, that I will take action.

Thanks

Dan

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 10:04:26 »
Thank you Dan, I have sent you a personal PM.

XX Jeannine

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2008, 10:20:50 »
dan I also post a pm to you.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:32 »
I have received PM's from several people, I have posted a general response in this thread.

Please read it, if you have any questions let me know.

Dan

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2008, 11:19:27 »
jeanie as for you statement about growing squash in uk being different from that where amy grows. I find that to be very funny.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:25:15 by thegreatgardener »

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2008, 14:40:05 »
Who's this then?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2008, 21:15:10 »
Hi Trix, good to see you back  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Do you really need an answer to that question  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 18:43:04 »
Hi Trixie, me too  for a welcome back,LOL as I have been gone for a while too. Hope you are well and that super kid of yours is still super... way off being a teenager so bet he is still a darling. I am paddling along, a bit at a loss this year without my beloved field full of assorted squash but   still healing and hanging in. More time to work on the books etc.

Pm me sometime when you have a mo..we have some catching up to do.

Hugs to the rugrat.

XX Jeannine

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 18:56:25 »
Hi Asbean & Jeannine :D

Lots of love to you both XXXX

PS: Jeannine having an opinion on squashes TGG? It's the equivalent of Sir Richard Attenborough having an opinion on ABSOLUTLEY EVERYTHING in the animal world!  EXPERT!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal