Author Topic: Update on our Mental Health allotment project - and exciting news!  (Read 1446 times)

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
Hi all, thought I'd start a new thread for my updates, as the other was getting a bit full!

You will all be thrilled to hear that our project has been granted £10,000 from B&Q, for their "One Planet Living Award" More can be found about the grant at diy.com.

We have to spend all the money in B&Q, and it has to be spent, with all works completed by mid September. This, as you can imagine has given us a massive boost. It has allowed us to order a big shed, with double doors, for wheelchair access, and the same for our greenhouse.

We have loads more crops in the ground, and our potatoes and carrots are nearly ready, which is causing much excitement with our service users, which is great to see.

They have been helping me choose products from the B&Q catalogues, and were trying to convince me to let them have a hot tub on the plot! lol.

All I need now is to find enough volunteers to help me get the sheds up, the paths laid and the digging done! I may be asking some of you Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge folks to come down for the day and pitch in!!! I'll even do a barbeque for you all, if you'll come! lol.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
so glad things are going well  ;D
when we were putting up the communal polytunnel, some people were talking about putting a hot tub in there  ;D

Patrick King

• Half Acre
Hi all, thought I'd start a new thread for my updates, as the other was getting a bit full!

You will all be thrilled to hear that our project has been granted £10,000 from B&Q, for their "One Planet Living Award" More can be found about the grant at diy.com.

We have to spend all the money in B&Q, and it has to be spent, with all works completed by mid September. This, as you can imagine has given us a massive boost. It has allowed us to order a big shed, with double doors, for wheelchair access, and the same for our greenhouse.

We have loads more crops in the ground, and our potatoes and carrots are nearly ready, which is causing much excitement with our service users, which is great to see.

They have been helping me choose products from the B&Q catalogues, and were trying to convince me to let them have a hot tub on the plot! lol.

All I need now is to find enough volunteers to help me get the sheds up, the paths laid and the digging done! I may be asking some of you Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge folks to come down for the day and pitch in!!! I'll even do a barbeque for you all, if you'll come! lol.

wow thats great news. im glad you got the boost from b&q.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Thats fantastic news MBaS!! :D

Good luck with getting volunteers, they are as rare as rocking horse poo here ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Brilliant news- you must have put a lot of work in bidding for that. Hope you get plenty of volunteers- why not approach a local company? Lots of them have "community involvement" people. We got a team from Norwich Union to do some decorating and gardening at the office where I work, which is a charity.

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
Thanks for the suggestions peeps. I may be trying to organise a get-together from the forum here, if anybody is interested, arranging a pick up point, perhaps from Norwich, and providing a barbeque, and drinks etc for those who are interested, although I haven't quite come up with a date yet! If anyone is interested, please let me know!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Bit too far for me, I'm afraid!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
hi MBAS, and huge congrats on your grant, you must all be thrilled!
as I still haven't made it over to King's Lynn with some bits and bobs for you (car is at least now back on the road) let me know when the bbq work party is and I'll come over with my plate spade ;D

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
Lol Norfolk lass - would be great to see you even if it is just for some grub!!!  ;D Will start a new thread so people can let me know if they're interested - It will be like a good ol' fashioned barn raising!!!! - Starting to get all excited now!!!  ;D

STEVEB

• Acre
WHY NOT TRY YOUR LOCAL COLLEGE FOR VOLUNTEERS.THEY COULD DO IT AS A PROJECT
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Think you'll find most colleges are closed now until September.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
I`m a volunteering kind of person.  :)

I`m interested especially if I can get a lift from Norwich. I may be in Kings Lyn for a high ropes course soon and will have the rest of the day free but I`ll pm you closer to the time.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

MindBodyandSoil

• Not So New ...
Excellent columbus! Sounds good to me!                   as for college i've tried already but our local college has it's own agricultural area so it is a no sadly!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal