Author Topic: Begonia Rex  (Read 1553 times)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Begonia Rex
« on: May 22, 2008, 13:44:49 »
I have several elderly Rex begonias which, although lovely, have grown with their stems along the ground. This means that the growing tip is now over the side of the pot, and heading away from it. Does anyone know what would happen if I removed this growing tip? It would leave the plant without leaves - would ity produce fresh shoots? Also, is it worth trying to root the tip as a stem cutting?
Thanks for any info  :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Begonia Rex
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 16:25:19 »
I think taking leaf cuttings is the traditional way with Begonias.  Here's a link showing how to do it.  G x

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/Publications/pubs/garden0501/cuttings.htm
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 23:27:53 »
Thanks, Georgie - I was just hoping that I could avoid starting again entirely and not lose my 2' across plant  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:43 »
Thanks, Georgie - I was just hoping that I could avoid starting again entirely and not lose my 2' across plant  ;D

Well I can't see any harm in trying the two methods you suggest too - you might end up with a Begonia family.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 15:06:11 »
Well, five weeks later and I'n a position to tell you that the tips of these begonias root very easily. I have some in water, and some in compost. I'm now going to remove the remaining growing points and see if the remaining bare stems will produce new shoots.
Watch this space.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal