Author Topic: When will my onions be ready?  (Read 1206 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
When will my onions be ready?
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:57 »
I planted some onion sets in April and they are getting thicker around the base and most are quite bulbous.  The height of the stems are approx 18".  Some are going yellow and bending over ever so slightly.  How will I know when to pick at their optimum time?

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: When will my onions be ready?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:20:34 »
First sign is when the tops bend over - wait until the majority of the crop is bent over (some with thicker necks or flower stems may never bend over) and looking pretty dried out. Eat the ones that won't bend over first (must be a joke there somewhere!).

Some people recommend pulling up the crop, washing off the soil and 'curing' them by laying root end towards the sun for a week - best done in a greenhouse where it can't rain.
If you want to store them for any length of time, store somewhere cool and ideally with lots of air circulation (hanging in nets) - a dry, drafty garage or shed is good.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

gixer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:00:05 »
hi all,
is that discription of when to pick onions the same with garlic, i planted them on the shortest day of the year and they are doing very well but i'm not sure when to harvest
I manage to grow things but never know when to leave things a bit longer to get maximum growth and when to havest.
i assume i'll learn with experience
Gill

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:25 »
With garlic I would pull one up and see what state its in. If the bulb has not yet divided into cloves (you will need to open it up to see this), then I would leave them in the ground longer unless the tops are completely dead.

Don't worry about lifting some early - unripen (also known as 'wet') garlic is magic cooked whole in the oven for 40 minutes on about 160C(with some oil drizzled over it and seasoned with salt and pepper beforehand)!
The VGA Live!

gixer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 14:20:27 »
Thanks that really helpfull
The tops are all still green so i guess i'll leave them a bit longer
and the cooking tip sounds lovely
Gill

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:08 »
What about my shallots too. Do you think it could be time for them. some have gone kind a flat looking. Good looking crop though!
Marigold

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:27:28 »
we've taken most of our shallots up, the tops had gone yellow and fallen over, some are like good-sized onions  ;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:47:59 »
What about my shallots too. Do you think it could be time for them. some have gone kind a flat looking. Good looking crop though!

If the tops are bent over flat and starting to dry out they will be getting close - but don't rush it. The bulbs should be looking brown or red (depending on variety!) not white. If in doubt pull one up and have a look - ripen as onions/garlic.

I put mine in October and although they are flat, the bulbs are not ready yet. Last year my March planted shallots were n't ready until August.
The VGA Live!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal