Author Topic: Tomatoes Again  (Read 1137 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
Tomatoes Again
« on: July 24, 2008, 14:36:43 »
I have had lots of trouble with branches breaking on my plants.I have them in pots in the aarden and not down the allotment.
It's been so windy and also the green toms seem to be just to heavy for the branches.

So i have tried to replant the broken branches in fresh compost and kept them in the green house but they don't appear to be taking at all well to this.Is it just something that won't work or is there anything else i could be doing to help them recover /

shaunster

• Not So New ...
Re: Tomatoes Again
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 15:08:58 »
To stop it happening you could try tieing the trusses to the supports to ensure they dont break off, the fruit can get heavy depending on the type

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 15:53:14 »

So i have tried to replant the broken branches in fresh compost and kept them in the green house but they don't appear to be taking at all well to this.Is it just something that won't work or is there anything else i could be doing to help them recover /

I'm not sure the branches take as well as the shoots they throw out from the joint between the stem and the branch i.e. the ones you usually remove from cordon tomatoes.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 16:52:06 »
Agree - very unlikely to do anything.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal