Allotment Stuff > The Basics

My First Allotment...Lottie!

(1/7) > >>

Les_Woof:
Hi to all you Lottie folks :)

I have just had a quick look around the site for some tips and there are far to many to take in all at once, so I was wondering if you folks could give me some pointers.

PS.. well done for the site it is fantastic :D :D :D

I just found out yesterday that I am to get my first allotment...since then I have been over the moon ;D ;D

The allotment is in a bad state at the moment and has not been tended for at least 18 months (I know this cos the lottie backs on to our house and I have been trying for 18 months to get the d**n thing) with weeds everywhere (don't even know what kinds of weeds I am so new to this...but I just can't wait to get stuck in)

So far all that is in the lottie is:
1. 2 sheds...that must be a good start.
2. Weeds...lots of the little beggars.
3.  Brambles...which you all have by the sounds of it. I want to keep some of these as they remind me of my youth back in Cumbria....aaghh them hills!!
4.  A huge pile of rubbish...consisting of the plastic bumper off the front of  a car,  old rusty wheelbarrows and heaps of other rusting metallic objects.

My first question is what do I do first. Apart from a couple of trips to the local tip with the rubbish.

I have read that you all started with strimming then weeding those roots out....I know this will take a while so do i fully weed the whole lottie or do i concentrate on getting say one whole area completely weeded then move on to the next.

I also need to start a composting area, how do I do this so that it will provide the best environment for my compost?

I have had a look into some of the other lotties nearby and some have what looks like tarpaulins covering up areas...what is this for? And should I be doing it also?

I realise that I have just jibbered on for an age an you probably wont read it this far but if anyone can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.....

Hear from you all soon..

fellow lottie

Les
;D

clare:
Hi Les, welcome to lotties4all .... and congratulations on finally getting the lottie you wanted!  must be great to have it right next to your house :)  It really is a great feeling when you get your lottie - I'm still on cloud nine and have even started eyeing up the plot next door  ::)

I'm fairly new to the lottie world myself - had my plot for about 2 months now.

In terms of what to do first and how much to do .... I'd advise you to take it at your own pace.  Little and often seems to be the best approach.. you don't want to do so much digging at the beginning that you ache too much to do anymore!  It's also better for your motivation if you set yourself smallish manageable chunks of work to do!

I think the tarpaulins on other lotties are probably being used to suppress weeds.

hope this helps - I'm sure some of the other members can answer your other questions... never be afraid of asking questions, someone will always have an answer!

Oh, and don't worry about jibbering away.... there's always plenty of jibbering going on here!!  :)

Mrs Ava:
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!  (on finding us, and your lottie!  ;D)  it is addictive, and knackering and you will have good and bad days, but take it all in your stride, don't try to do toooo much at once otherwise it will become a chore and not a joy.

I am no expert, there are lots of them here, but for what it's worth, I think I would get rid of all the rubbish first.  The tarps that you said other lottie holders have down are to keep the weeds down, I don't do this myself, prefer to let the weather do the business.  As for compost heaps, well there are a few postings about where is best.  Mine is in partial shade, is as big as we had enough pallets to build, and is full and covered with carpet to keep it snug!  You are so lucky - 2 sheds!!  We don't yet have one, and I refuse to buy one so we are keeping an eye out currently.  When I first started, I just started in one corner and slowely but surely worked my way up the plot - took weeks and weeks and hours and hours and my hands were sore, I had stinging nettle rash EVERYWHERE  :o, but now it is done!

I am sure you will be bombarded with advice from every corner - listen to what other lottie holders on your site say, if they have been there for years, they will know the soil and growing conditions and can help.

All the best
Emma

campanula:
quick welcome but must go now - teenagers demanding use of computer. will post later. Well done! cheers, Suzy

Doris_Pinks:
Welcome Les, I have found that the best way to clear is little and often. Set yourself a small area each time you go up and get them weeds out! (when I took mine on I had dock roots the size of large parsnips!! :o) It is so disheartening if you launch in all over the place as it never looks like you are getting anywhere! On my newly aquired addition to my plot, I have hacked back about 5 feet of brambles, and clearing that area in blocks.( covering it up afterwards, so it does not get too waterlogged so I can work on it whenever I want) Saves me back and hopefully will be able to get some potatoes in that area at least in the Spring.
lucky you on backing onto your lottie!! tea on tap,& no getting caught short!! And 2 sheds, I can only dream of not having a car full of tools!! BLISS!!  Dottie P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version