Author Topic: How many trusses of toms ?  (Read 1652 times)

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
How many trusses of toms ?
« on: June 29, 2008, 14:59:05 »
How many trusses of tomatoes would anyone suggest I let appear on the plants before I nip out the top ?

I have 5 at the moment with the lower 2 with fruit set.

Any thoughts.

Cheers. :)

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: How many trusses of toms ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 16:14:43 »
To my mind this is an either/or situation!

A number of factors can influence this e.g.

The height of the growing space for one.

Your location

Variety.

I tend to grow 5 trusses which fits in with the height of my greenhouses.

If I had more height I still don't think I would go anymore, because, in my area it might not be possible to get the top couple of trusses to ripen (if I grew to 7 trusses) so I tend to go for quality rather than quantity.

So really the choice is yours in my opinion!

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 19:16:41 »
I grow all mine outdoors, with my indeterminates I just let them grow to the top of their supports, about 6'. I don't worry about number of trusses. I have experimented in the past with just letting them go on trailing down again the other side. I got just as many ripe tomatoes with the bonus of green ones at the end of the season. Dunno why I've gone back to pinching out really.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 19:48:59 »
Letting them grow extends the season. Whatever the result?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:37 »
I hedge my bets by letting the vines like Santa with small fruit keep going and pinching off those with larger fruit.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 13:28:31 »
In some years (fingers crossed for this one) autumn can be very mild and its possible to have tomatoes ripening even as late as November (this happened to me when I lived in Sheffield a few years ago).
So unless my plants are looking really poorly, I would just let them go on until you need the space for something else or Jack Frost comes along and decides for you.

If I was you I would just let them keep growing until they reach the top of the greenhouse.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 00:13:00 »
as many as the plant will produce. Toping is not usefuln tomato unless you  want reduce production.

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 19:16:27 »
In some years (fingers crossed for this one) autumn can be very mild and its possible to have tomatoes ripening even as late as November (this happened to me when I lived in Sheffield a few years ago).
So unless my plants are looking really poorly, I would just let them go on until you need the space for something else or Jack Frost comes along and decides for you.

If I was you I would just let them keep growing until they reach the top of the greenhouse.

I had a 22' vine in 2006, formed a hedge in my front garden.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:25:20 »
Unless you have height restriction ie a greenhouse or you are out to grow large ones, let them keep coming. later on in the year, you can consider stopping growth to let the last lot mature and ripen.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal