Author Topic: My elephant garlic has babies!  (Read 1557 times)

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
My elephant garlic has babies!
« on: June 29, 2008, 16:13:17 »
I have just dug up some of my elephant garlic, which I have grown for the first time this year. its a good size, and was very tasty roasted for lunch today! I noticed that it had small "baby" cloves attached to the outside of the main head. They are about the size of a chick pea. If I potted them up, would they grow and produce cloves suitable for planting for a crop next year?
Many thanks
KK

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: My elephant garlic has babies!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 16:36:55 »
We had the same with ours, dug up yesterday. Can't answer your question though, but would be interested in the answer myself.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 20:38:51 »
If you replant or pot them right away, you should get a "round" next year, as explained in this page from my web site. http://www.growyourown.info/page145.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 20:53:01 »
They will produce eventually, but I suspect you'd have to wait two years to get a decent bulb. For comparison, I took two years to produce shallot-sized bulbs from my walking onions, which started as some of the little bulbs from the tops of the stems.

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 22:18:01 »
Thank you for your help and a most interesting web site! I think I will give it a go, after all, nothing ventured ...
KK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal