Author Topic: First flight  (Read 3581 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
First flight
« on: June 06, 2008, 20:39:59 »
Well wouldn't you know it, I nip out to the hairdressers and my little baby blue tits choose that moment to fledge.

Good job I had asked hubby to hang out a bit of washing as it was then that he realised that the little ones had left the nest and he found a few very confused little baby blue tits wondering how to spread their wings  ;D

Knowing that I would have loved to witness the site myself my lovely hubby took lots of pics and a little video so that I did not miss the proud occasion completely  :)

Heres one of our lovely little fellas, all fluffy and cuddly but by the expression on his face looking very dazed  ;D Awwwwwwww  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: First flight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 20:42:51 »
Awwww indeed.  What a lovely pic.    ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 22:39:51 »
honeybee That is one great pic, I am very envious.  I keep hoping I will get a blue tit in the garden.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 23:22:32 »
Beautiful pic Honeybee. It brings a smile to my face, well a great big beam, he reminds me of my baby.

Mine left their nest today but one of the babies didn't make flying, so I have left him to spend the night in an old cold frame on the plot.  I am really worried about him/her and can't wait for it to get light to hopefully find he/she has survived the night.  Mum and Dad fed him/her all day.

One of the other plot holders said that Mum and Dad would try to get him to a safe place by night fall, just hope they managed it.

Sinbad

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 23:36:39 »
Isn't is odd Sindbad ,you would think that flying would be a natural instinct, but watching these little fellas today it seems not - and you can just see on this little guys face, he is totally confused ??? I do love that pic though, sums so much up, we have a video too and the pooor likka fella is so desperately muddled.

We are off on our holidays tomorrow and I was worrying about leaving them, so its good to know they have fledged today, hopefully, they will be ok. I climbed a ladder to look at their empty nest and it was so perfect, absolutley gorgeous, brought a tear to my eye.

Sinbad so glad you are helping out, and its good to know the parents are on hand, isn't nature just wonderful?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 23:41:27 »
Didn't have them nesting in my box this year but have watched quite a few leaving the box and they are so gorgeous and so helpless.  They seem to take a liking to our conservatory and remember them clinging onto the wall and then hopping onto the sill looking in the window at us.  Big new world out there for them, hope they make it.

:) :)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 23:47:38 »
I know Honeybee, I was so excited when I saw him and called out to my neighbour I'm a mummy come and look at my baby:)  But then when I sat and watched I realised they weren't so lucky, so stayed as long as I could with the dog as that keeps the cat away then went back and sat and watched this afternoon but I was getting more worried about him as he had gone onto the ground, so he would have further to fly now.  

I did take photo's of him and he looked as confused as your baby, as you say you would think they would know how to fly.

I know when we looked in their empty box last year we couldn't believe the perfection of it, nature is truly amazing.

Have a wonderful holiday Honeybee, hope the sun shines everyday for you :)

Sinbad

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 00:04:32 »
Awww thanks Sinbad, so kind of you xx

I must admit last years nest was very upsetting, not very comforting, a bit hit and miss, and we found a dead little 'un  :'(

But this present one one in comparision was amazing,so deep and perfect, we have left it there just in case, but will take a pic if I remember when I get back as it was just so perfect and snuggly.

I am worried about the magpies now, only time of the year I see them in the garden is this time  :'( When I was out this moring and hubby was texting me pics and videos I told him to stay in garden and wave frantically if he saw magpies, which he did, bless.
All seems well now though and blue tits are not about so I take it they found their wings.

Leaving at 5am tomorrow but will check back when I get home to see if you feel satisfied with your little ones progress x

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 00:07:57 »
Thank you Honeybee, and go away thinking what a brilliant job you have done and proud parents you both are:)

Have a safe journey and a brilliant time.

Sinbad

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 13:54:39 »
Hope your holiday was good Honeybee, I was thinking of you at 6.30 am when I went to see if my baby had survived the night, alas there was no sign of him/her, so came home and went back down to do some work on the plot at about 10 am and lo and behold there was the cheeky little thing on my buddleia:)

I was delighted so sat and watched and he can fly a wee bit and now he is in my hedge safe and sound with the parents still feeding him, so all's well and hopefully I will have a lie in tomorrow now I don't have to worry and get up early to make sure he is okay, as I am sure he is a survivor :)

Sinbad

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 20:48:11 »
I think my blue tit made it today or even yesterday afternoon.  I was at the plot yesterday morning and he was still there and one of the parents were doing their hardest to get him to fly up to the tree to get the food they had, but I never saw it happen.  When I went to the plot this morning he had gone, so I am hoping it was a very happy ending for him.  I am relieved it is over too ;D

Sinbad

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 10:47:59 »
Glad to hear it all went well Sinbad, have been wondering  ;D

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 20:19:47 »
Hope you had a fab holiday Honeybee  ;D Nature is flippin' amazing, watching the daft fledging Starlings in the garden makes me so impressed that any of them make it!  ;D

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 20:34:20 »
Nice to see you back honeybee, hope you had a good holiday.

Sinbad

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 23:15:41 »
Had a lovely time, thankyou so much - and now for the diet  :-X

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 20:58:57 »
What a fantastic picture honeybee.  You should enter it for the Countryfile photographic competition later in the year.  In my book it would be a sure-fire winner.

I just love this time of year in the garden with all the juveniles of the various birds coming to feed.  I jokingly call our back garden the juveniles' playground, insofar as they are safe from cats.  We do get the occasional visit from a Sparrowhawk, but at this time of year there are enough 'bolt holes' for them to take cover.

Robin has decided that the best place to nest is in one of our winter flowering pots (with primulas in).  It is in a pot about 2' from the front window.  Fortunately I saw it flying in and out, otherwise I would have been watering the pot, and eventually taken it away to replace the plants with summer bedding.

Also the garden underneath it, I don't like to get too close to plant out the summer bedding for fear of 'spooking' it.  At one stage I thought the nest had been abandoned, and looked in, and there were three eggs.

It is in such a precarious site.  The postie has to go past to get to the letterbox, and to water the hanging baskets I need to go back and forth several times.

I think an untidy bit of garden is a small price to pay for the privilege.

valmarg

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 21:04:29 »
What a treat valmarg,you are so lucky :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 12:47:30 »
Such a cute picture! He is precious.
 I'm hoping to watch some Eastern Phoebes fledge one of these days.
And some wrens which have taken over all of our birdhouses!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 21:59:29 »
Thankyou so much valmarg, they are very kind words :)
Good luck with your robins, it makes me laugh how we go so out of our way so as to not disturb them when they are nesting, turning our space over to them  :)

GrannieAnnie sounds like your garden has lots of exciting goings on too  :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 00:55:49 »
Well, its looking like we are going to have some baby robins.

I was worried that the nest was in a very awkward position.

Mum/dad are flying in with beaksful of food, so it looks as if the eggs have hatched.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal