Author Topic: Broccoli  (Read 1262 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Broccoli
« on: June 26, 2008, 14:41:33 »
A very silly me didn't have time to plant my brocolli plants so put them in the greenhouse out the way of the slugs. Next day they looked dead so gave them a good water now they have been eaten by slugs. Help! I could kick myself they were really good seedlings. Am I too late to try again???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 20:20:39 »
If you are talking PSB for spring no, sow again... if we have a mild start to the winter they will keep growing and catch up...  ;D

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:02 »
I've planted PSB but this was calabrese brocolli type

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 13:02:05 »
You might get away with it.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 13:14:39 »
It depends when you want to eat it. The usual way is sow in May to eat in October. (So - end of June, you might just get away with it if the weather's right in October/November.)

But, a tip I got from Wisley years ago: they sowed in October to eat in May! May's quite a useful time for getting green veg. So I've done it ever since....

To put a bit of detail on that: sow mid-October; prick out the seedlings into 3" pots & over-winter somewhere under unheated glass. Next year, as the plants start to grow, pot on into larger pots; then - as early as you dare - plant out under cloches. I use the plastic cloche-hat type, and as soon as they hit the top remove the cloche. (Use the cloches to cover the next batch and you have a succession.)

But bear in mind where I am gardening; you might not get away with it further north. Worth experimenting, though.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 16:48:43 »
We've been cutting ours since April.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 18:27:21 »
I'm in London too. Good October it is then. Still cross :-X about the last lot I lost ho hum

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal