Author Topic: Dwarf fruit trees  (Read 3915 times)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
Dwarf fruit trees
« on: June 27, 2008, 14:15:38 »
We are lucky in that we have a plot next to a huge electricity pylon so, if we grow some fruit trees right at the end of our plot, they won't interfere with or block the sun from any other plot.  We've been told that we can grow soft fruit but I am going to ask whether we can grow dwarf fruit trees.  I would like to plant a pear, peach and apricot and have been told by the garden centre that sells them that you buy in August to plant in September.

Has anybody else tried growing dwarf fruit trees and, if so, have you had any success with them or are they a pain to keep free from disease and pests?

When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Dwarf fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 19:34:27 »
we've got small apples and a pear, cherry, plum and peach, the apples have fruit on but, the others are only first year so, no fruit ..we have small ones to make pruning and pest removing easier  ;D
hope you're allowed, it makes a difference  ;D

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 19:34:39 »
OH Im so glad you brought this subject up as I too am planning to have some smaller fruit trees.

We also cannot plant them in the ground (only soft fruit in the ground) but Im planning on having them in containers.

So which varieties etc would be good to know.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 19:46:45 »
I researched this topic for hours on end before buying.  The service was fast,  and prices were the cheapest too.  If I want any more dwarf fruit trees - I will be buying them from the same company without hesitation.      I purchased 2 from Bakker earlier this year.  They are currently in pots - at least until next year as I am undecided where exactly to put them.  Though they may remain in pots......

I purchased the Dwarf Stella Cherry Tree and the Dwarf Pear Tree from here:
http://www.bakker.co.uk/index.aspx?Ntt=dwarf+fruit+tree&Ntk=NL&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&N=0&D=dwarf+fruit+tree

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 22:55:42 »
Bakker's is where I am going to order mine as they look so good in the catalogue.

Another thing is has anybody tried those grafted fruit trees where you have 3 different varieties on one tree, not necessarily on your allotment but in your garden?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 23:20:53 »
I've used these companies, Keepers, Marshalls and Blackmoor:
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/?PAGEID=20671&ctl_cat_Code=M19200
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?osCsid=9bab5ce5bcf36a375eb2c2ad1daf3b96
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/default.aspx
and have found them to be very reliable. Haven't found Bakkers quality to be so good, but some folks have.
On the subject of "family" trees, i.e. trees with more than one variety grafted, I'm not keen on them because one variety always seems to grow faster than another and you seem to end up with a lopsided tree.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:17:38 »
Thanks for the links Kt and Jenny they are just what I needed as you have saved me hours of internet research.  ;D

I do appreciate it.

Cheers

Jackie

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:45:36 »
Thanks for all your valuable help and info - very much appreciated.  I will look at the other sites for dwarf trees, provided we are allowed to have them.  The woman we got our allotment through is presently on leave.

hanracmum

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:51:03 »
Just a quick question.  We would like to plant a cherry.  I see some of you say that you are not allowed to plant trees into the ground, can I ask why?  Who would i need to check with about that on my allotment site?

Thanks  :)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 12:56:07 »
I think it is because, once established, trees are a pain to remove and also, if your allotment is next to another plot, your tree might block out the sun from the next door plot.  If I'm not allowed to plant dwarf versions I may just plant some in pots at home.

::)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 13:01:25 »
Just a quick question.  We would like to plant a cherry.  I see some of you say that you are not allowed to plant trees into the ground, can I ask why?  Who would i need to check with about that on my allotment site?
If this is the case and you are not allowed to plant trees - put the dwarf variety in a large pot at the allotment.  It is not in the ground then so nobody can moan at you.  8) (Dwarf trees take less room than bean plants and some sweetcorn)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 13:12:53 »
Yes, I think it's because of the 'nuisance' value.  An established tree will cast shade and draw the moisture from your and neighbouring plots and is difficult to get rid of.  People sometimes don't research what they're buying and its suitability.  One of my plot neighbours has just taken on a recently evicted half plot and found in amongst the brambles, nettles and couch 3 fruit trees planted 18" apart.  The labels are still readable and none of them are on dwarf root stock so they've got to go.

We do have trees on our site but they have been there for decades.  If you have one, as I do, you have to manage it so as to minimise the nuisance value.  I keep my apple down to a height that I can pick from and keep the spread within the boundaries of my plot.  I don't think we have a 'rule' as such but the planting of non-dwarf trees is strongly discouraged.  We're not a council site so that might make a difference.  

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 19:58:26 »
Mine aren't so dwarf, but the plots were used as leisure gardens rather than normal allotments in the old days, many people planted orchards, and a lot of the trees are still there. I'm told there were three or four apple trees on my plot, but my predecessor cut them all down, leaving me nothing but a few rotten logs. I've planted several, but I aim for small trees around the fifteen foot mark, and plant where they won't shade the plot too much in the main. They are spreading a bit slowly as I plant more, but most of the shade will be on my flowerbeds. There's a hedge between me and my neighbour, so they won't shade his plot.

One thing to watch out for is not to let them fruit too early. It takes all their strength and they stop growing. Several of mine have had to be pruned or have the fruit picked off so start them growing again.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 20:36:04 »
The info about whether you can have trees or not should be in your terms and conditions when you signed the cntract to take your allotment on.

It was in mine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal