Author Topic: Carrotts  (Read 2193 times)

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
Carrotts
« on: June 24, 2008, 22:01:06 »
Can you grow carrotts in a tub? If so how deep does the tub have to be? What else can you grow in tubs, is there a special thread for tubs? Sorry if there is I did try and search, but very new to all of this. Some of the threads i've read feel so friendly!

jo9919

Re: Carrotts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 22:07:15 »
Hi,

I'm growing carrots in tubs. I didn't have much success last year, but this year I seem to be doing really well with them.

The tub size would depend on how many you want to grow. Depth wise, I have 18'' and also less.

I'm growing Early Nantes and also Parmex which are stubby carrots and these seem to be doing the best.

Hope this helps,
Jo.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 22:10:10 »
Thanks for that Jo! This all new exciting stuff! I've got some carrotts in some deep pots, and the tops are getting really long about 10". How do you know when they are ready to pull, i'm so tempted to dig down by the side of the plant ot see if there are any carrotts on the end! Patience is not one of my virtues lol!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 22:16:57 »
that's how we check, jordsbabe, just see how big the top is, pull the biggest and leave the small ones to grow, you can still sow french beans in pots, if you can get hold of plants of cherry tomatoes, there should be time for a harvest, salad leaves, too  ;D

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 22:18:43 »
I never thought about salad leaves! You can get such a variety nowadays too! Can't wait for the weekend lol!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 22:19:53 »
if you look in bargains galore on here, there are lots of posts about cheap and half price seeds  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 22:23:39 »
I think the tub grown carrots are some of the best and i tend to sow a few later in the season with either stump rooted types like chantenay or scarlet horn, or early typles like early nantes as you get lovely finger sized roots through the autumn. Lovely taste and if you tried to buy the equivalent at the shops would cost you a fortune.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 22:25:37 »
if you look in bargains galore on here, there are lots of posts about cheap and half price seeds  ;D

Thanks for that!

jo9919

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 23:21:44 »
You can grow most things in containers. I'm waiting for an allotment at the moment and started growing in pots last year.

This year I'm growing lots of things in containers including potatoes, sweetcorn, beetroot, turnips, runner beans, french beans, lettuce, peas, carrots, radish, spring onions, mini sweetcorn, tomatoes, cucumber, herbs phew, I'm sure I've missed other things.

I've also just sown some Kohl Rabi seeds. I've never tasted this before so I thought I would give it a go.

You just have to make sure that your containers are large enough for the plants you want to grow, but saying that, they don't have to be huge. You're never going to get a huge crop from containers, but you get enough for some decent meals.

I knew I'd forgotten things.........broccoli.

You'd be surprised at how well things grow in containers, and when I say make sure that the containers are large enough for the plants you want to grow, you adjust the size accordingly. For instance, you can grow the globe type radish perfectly well in a seed tray.

I have 'normal' type runner beans planted up in three containers and a wigwam constructed between the three containers, but I've also just bought a packet of Hestia runner bean seeds which are especially for containers as they don't climb as the normal type do.

I would recommend a cut and come again lettuce such as lettuce bowl as you get the most out of a small space with a crop like this. You basically cut the leaves as you require them rather than taking the whole plant and they will grow again in no time.

Have a search on Google for veg types especially for containers as these tend to be smaller plants.

Good luck and let us know what seeds you buy at the weekend  ;D

Jo.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 05:45:33 »
I never had any success with germination of carrots in the ground.  This year,  I have sown 3 successions so far.  2 x Early Nante,  1 x Flyaway.  And will be sowing 2 successions of Autumn King 2.  All have been put in the black buckets / builders bucket sized containers.  About 12 all in all.  Everyone so far has loads of very high , luscious green carrot leaves,  and the crop is fattening out very well. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:38:01 »
I never thought about salad leaves! You can get such a variety nowadays too! Can't wait for the weekend lol!

Get yourself to Morrisons superstore and pick up a pack for 59p    best kind I have tried

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 13:21:28 »
Would like to give carrots/containers a try but what's the watering regime for carrots in tubs - are they very sensitive? Also do they need liquid feeding?

I was planning to use the soil from my potato contatiners (originally composted manure and multicompost). Any problem?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 13:23:04 by Barnowl »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 14:06:15 »
I have used multipurpose compost in my containers this year.  They do not need any special feed.  They were in the greenhouse till they germinated.  At about 2" high I placed the buckets outside in the openair and have left them to fend for themselves.  Watering with the garden-hose occasionally. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 14:18:54 »
Yesterday I got a 12" planter type pot.

Filled with 2/3 compost and 1/3 sand (as they like a loose structure apprently).

And sowed Amsterdam sprint that I got for 60p from Woolies. Which are part of Mr Fothergills (contained garden) series.

Watered the compost before sowing.

Topped with 1.5 cm's of the same mix and watered the top.

Will let you know how they get on.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 15:05:46 »
Thanks KT and Chappy. :)

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 18:38:27 »
This is all such wonderful information, i knew this was a nice friendly I could feel it in my water!!!

jo9919

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 22:12:40 »
You only have to ask for any information which you need, you'll get lots for responses, some contradictory, but all valid. I can vouch from experience.

Everyone is so friendly.

Jo.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 14:37:40 »
You can grow carrots in errrr[attachment=1] whatever
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 14:41:42 »
Are the ones in rhubarb forcers / chimney pots / drains) for a competition?  Looks very smart

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 14:58:50 »
Are the ones in rhubarb forcers / chimney pots / drains) for a competition?  Looks very smart
No Barnowl they are for eating, The old feller next garden just grows them in what he has available. A little sprinkling in each pot ends ups a lot of carrots.
Just trying to let people see what can be used to grow them in.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal