Author Topic: Celery!  (Read 986 times)

yekim

• Not So New ...
Celery!
« on: June 24, 2008, 16:10:12 »
I have 2 celery plants and have been told that i need to put a tube round the stems, now i understand this is apparently to make the stems go white.  My question is this does it make a difference to the taste, growth rate etc?

cheers

Mick

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Celery!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 17:28:33 »
I have always gone with the idea that blanching the stems does actually enhance flavour and tenderness but that it isn't essential, nothing wrong with green celery (same as with leeks) - not sure how much myth or truth there is in that though, perhaps it is down to personal taste

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 17:39:36 »
That's good question. I can't answer it definitively and would like to know the answer, but I can say:

a) a lot of varieties of celery are 'self-blanching' which means unlike traditional varieties, they don't need to be earthed up or enclosed.

b) I grew both types last year without earthing up either and there wasn't much difference between the two - the original variety (Granada F1) was perhaps a little firmer.

PS They get unhappy if they don't get enough water.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 20:18:28 »
It will make a difference to the growth if you collar it as the plant want light so you will get longer celery
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:07 »
Makes sense. I could try it with an old rhubarb forcer but I think it might be too big.

What about the tenderness / taste  aspect? Anyone have an answer?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:35:45 »
Use cardboard wrapped round the plant as collars  and it should not affect taste or tenderness
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal