Author Topic: Manchester allotmenteers  (Read 3288 times)

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
Manchester allotmenteers
« on: June 16, 2009, 13:17:49 »
I've just taken on an allotment in north Manchester, near Rochdale. Wondering if there's anyone else on here from this neck of the woods ?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Manchester allotmenteers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 16:34:34 »
Hi HeartySoup, not sure if youv'e checked this out or not but there's a member map button on this site, click on that and away you go

From an expat (sarf Manchester area), now living in sunny and dry Hastings  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 17:06:47 »
I was brought up in Rossendale... but am now exiled in Derby...  :-X

and welcome to A4A  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 19:17:53 »
I'm sure sparkly is from somewhere in manchester, we;re a bit farther away, near warrington  ;D

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 18:12:18 »
And here's me thinking Manchester was the horticultural capital of the world !!

1066  -  I'll definitely have a go with the member location thing, thanks.

Saddad - Rossendale's got some lovely bits. I'm north Manc so it's not that far away.

Manicscousers - Warrington's a bit of a way from here and I can't say I know it at all well. I did work at Tatton park some years ago which is on the way to you....leafy Cheshire, lovely dahling !!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 18:18:12 »
we're not in the posh bit, we're in golborne, opposite side of the east lancs to warrington  ;D

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 18:22:09 »
I've just taken on an allotment in north Manchester, near Rochdale. Wondering if there's anyone else on here from this neck of the woods ?

What condition is it in? any photos?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 18:29:34 »
Excuse me Heartysoup :o ;D. I am a stones throw from Tatton Park dahling. Lets hope they open up for allotments. can you imagine allotmenteering in Tatton Park WOW. What part did you work in?

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:16:57 »
herring8

I was kicking myself for not taking photos before I made a start, it doesn't help that I'm the kind of Stig of the Dump that only uses disposable cameras and when it comes to uploading/downloading etc I'm a bit lost ! I need to get my act together.

The plot itself isn't in too bad a shape, the previous occupant had made a very good start at clearing it, so I should have the groundwork done fairly quickly. The biggest problem is waterlogging (that's why the plot became free) I don't know whether I'm being a bit naive, but I'm hoping to deal with that by using raised beds in the wettest bits. It does feel like I'm taking a risk, but I'll give it a go !

Whereabouts are you and do you have any wise words for a novice allotmenteer with a paddling pool plot ?!

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:29:23 »
Hi grannyjanny

Lucky you living in leafy Cheshire, is it Pimms on the veg patch down there ?!!

I was a volunteer gardener working on the restoration of the kitchen garden, I was there from the very start  when the TGS garden was taken out and the walled garden was nothing more than a dumping ground. It was there that I got my digging proficiency badge !! Once the garden was up and running I was lucky enough to be given paid work teaching basic horticultural skills to groups of people with special needs.

It'd be great if Tatton gave up some of the land for allotments. There is another section of walled garden that's right next door to the existing kitchen garden, it's messy and mainly used to store things, it's begging to be turned into something more productive. If I was closer I'd definitely be pushing for it to be handed over for allotments. Do you think you might start a campaign ?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 11:14:29 »
ooo Tatton's lovely I remember camping there as a brownie  :D  8)  :o

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:21:11 »
I thought that the National Trust had a policy of creating allotments.  If there is a suitable site, perhaps you should suggest it.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 21:08:44 »
Hi Heartysoup. No Pimms but lots of tea (redbush Dahling, don't you know ;D). Did you work with someone called Geoffrey, small, he wears glasses & lodges in Mobberley I think he has Aspergers.

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:52:26 »
Hi Grannyjanny

I do remember Geof very well indeed, it took a little while to get to know him, but I did and we got along really well. He only had one speed and that was rocket powered, he was a demon with a ride-on mower !!

Do you think you might start a campaign to get some allotments up and running at Tatton then ?

PS  Do you go to the Tatton show ?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:24:01 »
Hi Heartysoup. I don't do campaigning, not starting one anyway but it would be nice to have one in Tatton. I am happy to have my half plot for now, good if it was bigger. We may go to RHS show, it depends on the weather, I have ME & don't function well in heat so will have to wait & see. Geoff lodges across the road from us.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal