Author Topic: Potatoe advice  (Read 1310 times)

Zoglet

• Half Acre
Potatoe advice
« on: June 22, 2008, 14:22:04 »
Hi, I have a few beds of spuds this year and was wondering what percentage could I expect to go green if I didn't earth them up. They were planted in ridged rows. Can any one help with this question?

The reason I ask is cos I think I am going to have far to many spuds as it is, and I mostly planted them to help break up some ground on a new plot I got and can afford to loose some.

many thanks

Zoglet.
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Potatoe advice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 14:23:58 »
Depends a lot on how deep they went in, & the friability of the soil.

Can't guess.

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 14:27:04 »
Thanks Tim.

I can't really remember how deep they went in, but it would have been the usual depth (written on the bag) planted in ridges. Im really just wondering whether its likely to be about 30, 50 or more pre cent I should expect to loose.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 15:01:58 »
whether its likely to be about 30, 50 or more per cent I should expect to lose

I wouldn't expect that much, in fact depending upon your soil type I think it can often be better not to earth them up.

I found that when I earth them up with my very light soil and the tops die back heavy rain can wash away the soil and expose the potatoes near the surface turning them green.

Last year I didn't earth them up at all and I think my losses were less,so much so I haven't earthed them up this year again so that I can compare seasons.

As you may recall last year was quite wet (Is that an understatement? ::) ) so if this year is somewhat drier I hope to get a fair comparison and I will act accordingly in future years.

organicandy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 15:52:20 »
 :)hiya m8, you shouldnt loose too many (tattys green) due to not earthing up, depending on how deep they were planted /rightly mentioned by another member, however tattys grow the same as tomatoes(up the stalk) and not down at the roots so it is realy better to hearth up not only to prevent green spuds but also to protect against frost(which hopefully have gone by now) and also to give the plant some medium to harvest well, hope this helps  cheers Andy

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 18:18:56 »
Thanks for the input people!

I think I will give in to my lazy side and chance it without earthing up- when I harvest, and if I remember, I will follow this thread up with my input from the experiment.

Z

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal