Author Topic: agapanthus query ?  (Read 1232 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
agapanthus query ?
« on: June 21, 2008, 16:51:46 »
these were sown in february, grown very slowly to this size and stopped, the leaves look very healthy, anyone grown them from seed, how did they go ?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: agapanthus query ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 00:01:03 »
I wonder if perhaps you're being too nice to them.  They grow like weeds in our garden and self-seed freely.  Their favourite places are jammed together in hot dry areas like  cracks in concrete and between slabs.  When I grow them from seed, I keep them crowded and on the dry side in good light with multiple seeds in pots and I don't prick out until they're fighting their way out.  Then I pot on into individual pots that are a size smaller than they need.

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:52:09 »
My Agapanthus seedlings sown earlier this year are about the same size as yours - I have mine in small pots and keep them crowded and then pot on.  Be Warned - they take about four or five years to flowering! 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:16:30 »
We lose a good 50 percent of seedlings over winter, even under cover. Outdoors we lose them all, even establsihed ones, even planted at the base of a south facing wall in well drained soil. The seedlings from about 4 years ago are just beginning to flower in the frames.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal