Author Topic: Green manure  (Read 8165 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
Re: Green manure
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 13:15:34 »
Im growing phacelia,  and I have let it flower.  Im just checking each time im there that the flowers aren't going to seed, and if they are I nip them off.
Each time I go to the allotment I see about 30 bee's buzzing around the flowers.  They really cant seem to get enough of them!
Thats the main reason I have left the flowers on.

I do have a question though.  I have the green manure in where my spuds are going next year,  but someone above said they are following it with legumes.
I guess it's all good, but should I consider changing my plan?
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 19:39:25 »
One of the points about growing green manure is it does take nitrogen and other things out of the soil as well as the atmosphere, stores them then releases them back into the soil when they break down after cutting and digging in. The storage is one of the important things as this stops the goodness leeching away into the soil, especially over winter, when it rains. When you use farm manure, it loses a lot of the goodness over the winter period through leeching.
Other benefits are it keeps weeds at bay and if left to flower, attracts important insects to the plot.
Be careful though as you do have to make sure you use it within your rotation.
Also there is nothing wrong with using both farm and green, and the green doesn't have to be in your beds for long periods of time, it just depends on what you use.
I'd rather be flying

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 16:03:12 »
I bought a selection of green manures from the Organic Gardening catalogue last year but never seem to have any space left to plant them! What are the best ones for planting in autumn but digging in early spring when the space is needed again?

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 17:31:01 »
For everything you need to know about green manure and cover crops go here for a printable fact sheet.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs/international_programme/GreenMan.pdf

Would it be possible to put this link in the links area?

I'd rather be flying

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 07:20:37 »
This link also gives approximate planting times as, if my memory serves me right, does the Organic gardening catalogue.
http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/green.htm

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 09:41:17 »
I will definitely be doing this this year, especially given the info on another thread about problems with manure.  Soil on my plot is pretty poor so hopefully this will help.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 09:50:27 »
Phacalia is wonderful stuff, and it fits in the rotation anywhere. It is great for attracting bees, and although it self seeds the seedlings are quite distinctive so easily weeded out if they are growing where you don't want any...  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal