Author Topic: Hormone Weedkiller in Manure  (Read 70925 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Hormone Weedkiller in Manure
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2008, 22:13:22 »
that's a shame, the magazine goes to so many people, it would bring it to their attention, that is the one I received, it also says the weedkiller takes 2 years to break down, think I might e mail and point out some of the flaws,  :-\

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2008, 22:18:10 »
OK.  I'll try again.  We need all the help we can get!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2008, 22:37:38 »
just found 2 more articles in there, back page and stop press, they want anyone who is affected to e mail Bryn Pugh at natsoc@nsalg.org.uk ..the other is from sandwell allotments council

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2008, 23:08:15 »
That's him that I wrote to before.  He's their legal consultant.  Good that they're giving it more airtime though.  I've seen the Sandwell allotments posting in various places - they're doing a good job.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2008, 16:10:45 »
There is also a "notice" on the "GYO Allotment Notice Board" in this months Grow Your Own magazine warning about this problem.
twinkletoes

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2008, 12:37:18 »
Also an article in Organic Gardening this month as well.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2008, 08:34:07 »
Great that it's getting so much coverage.  I did a telephone interview on Wednesday with a journalist from a local paper and the article appeared yesterday with a picture from the photoshoot I did with my MP last week.  Got a bit of a tabloid headline though - "Allotment holder's fight against contamination".  I'm pleased I approached my MP.  Of all the MPs who have offered support, he's actually done something.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2008, 20:56:14 »
it was on iPM  with Eddie Mair this afternoon Radio 4
You couldn't make it up!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2008, 22:13:56 »
Thanks Tony.  Just listened on iPlayer.  It was a good piece.  Interesting Bryn Pugh of the NSALG said they have had 613 calls about it this year, but he's said in writing that the problem was greater last year.  I wonder how many calls they had last year and why they didn't do something about it then.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2008, 22:20:57 »
I heard the Eddie Mair piece this afternoon too - excellent 8)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2008, 08:18:54 »
Last nights gardners world article stated that it would only take about three weeks for this weedkiller to be broken down by bacterial  breakdown in soil rubbish!

we put manure on beds in march , first dahlias affected in early june, second planting in july affected by late july, beans on the bed now affected. this makes at least five months of problems for us and no sign of any reduction in the action of this weedkiller.

Pretty unimpressed by the statement about the three weeks.

It looks like the two year advice is more likely to be relevant.

gutted, lost 30 years of dahlia culture and collection building up. looking out on an empty bed that should be in full bloom by now.

sunloving :(

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2008, 08:49:49 »
What Guy Barter said was only part of the correct answer.  I did wonder if what he said had been edited down and the sense was lost in the process.  It's correct that after the plant material has completely rotted away, the weedkiller is released into the soil and breaks down into harmless compounds in a few weeks.  However, the time taken for the plant material to rot down is much longer and can be as long as a couple of years depending on soil conditions, temperature etc.

I'm so sorry for your losses.  I've only lost veg and hopefully the year after next they'll be back to normal.  I can't imagine what it must be like to have lost what is effectvely your life's work.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2008, 09:17:38 »
How interesting that this topic was at the top of the line re: recent topics, as I wanted to post a question on it. Was laying in bed this morning and had a brain wave on asking freecyclers for spent bedding and droppings from their small mammal pets. I though this would help solve the problem of not using horse/ cow manure this autumn and next spring like I hoped too. But suddenly remembered about the weedkiller also found on the straw that can be used in bedding. what are the views do you think it will pose a problem, or this just occurred to me maybe I could just request it from people who only use shredded paper? ???

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2008, 09:23:26 »
If the bedding is straw which is derived from cereal crops it should be safe as aminopyralid isn't licensed for use on cereals.  If it is hay based, then I would avoid it as there is absolutely no way of knowing whether it might have been sprayed.  I've bought both in the past for mulching my strawbs - barley straw and meadow hay.  I know which one I'll be sticking to in future.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2008, 09:51:20 »
If the bedding is straw which is derived from cereal crops it should be safe as aminopyralid isn't licensed for use on cereals.  If it is hay based, then I would avoid it as there is absolutely no way of knowing whether it might have been sprayed.  I've bought both in the past for mulching my strawbs - barley straw and meadow hay.  I know which one I'll be sticking to in future.

ah thanks for clearing that up for me. the only problem is the pet owners may not be aware of the source of their straw, i might just request it from paper users to stay on the safe side, but it will probably reduce the amount i could have gotten. ho hum :-\

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2008, 12:05:53 »
Ditto Thifasmon, on our way to Shrewsbury Flower show yesterday we went past a farm advertising organic straw rich in wildflowers.  I did say to OH we should go in and ask them who buys their straw so we can go and ask them for manure next year.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2008, 12:07:03 »
oh, and won't be buying barley straw to keep the pond clear next year, just in case.  I have a lovely & quite rare waterlily & I'm taking no chances!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2008, 12:21:59 »
oh, and won't be buying barley straw to keep the pond clear next year, just in case.  I have a lovely & quite rare waterlily & I'm taking no chances!

oh my goodnews this a great point i do this every year, makes me rethink about doing it, hmm ???

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2008, 12:25:41 »
Aminopyralid is particularly harmful to water courses and the aquatic environment.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2008, 13:55:35 »
Can we all cease and desist from propagating the myth that aminopyralid breaks down once in contact with the soil. It does not. All the academic institutions have been very quick to copy the manufacturers guidelines and information but none of them have actually done any tests.

The poison is highly soluble and is readily absorbed by any nearby vegetation, some being killed, others surviving either unharmed or distorted. Any toxic solution not immediately absorbed by plants is simply washed into the nearest water course and hence onwards to the reservoir and the nations drinking water.

It is regularly stated that the poison passes through mammals without harm and the urine contaminates the manure making the manure the guilty party but who has tested this? Certainly not the RHS who still hasn't realised that their own trial grounds are contaminated and not the NVS who now mistakenly try to tell us that it was worse last year than this but completely forgot to notify either the public or the authorities.

All we know is that the poison kills some plants, makes some sick while others apparently survive unaffected. Whether it adversely affects horses and people is probably down to the dosage levels and would probably only then affect children or the foetus.

To sum up, until proof to the contrary is released by trusted independent authorities, aminopyralid should be considered persistant in the environment in the same manner as DDT.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal