Author Topic: plum tree  (Read 3413 times)

teewee

• Not So New ...
plum tree
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:39:25 »
help have been trying for ages to identify the problem with my victoria plum tree has been planted for two years and this year all leaves begin mottling turn yellow then fall off anyone know whats wrong with it

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: plum tree
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 13:19:29 »

teewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 16:18:24 »
thanks for the info does seem probable not promising though

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 20:59:14 »
Our Victoria plum tree (in its third year only) is succumbing to some bacterial or virus disease.  It doesn't seem to be bacterial leafspot though.  It has only three leafy branches left.

Whe I cut the infected branches, there seems to be a ring of brown infected material around the centre.  I've pruned it back and burned the prunings, but I fear that it's not going to survive the summer.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 20:59:55 »
hi, teewee, welcome to the site, hope your plum gets sorted  :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 23:05:12 »
Our Victoria plum tree (in its third year only) is succumbing to some bacterial or virus disease.........When I cut the infected branches, there seems to be a ring of brown infected material around the centre.....

Silver leaf disease I think.

teewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:34 »
manic scousers thanks for welcome am amateur gardener but enjoy so dont know too much thanks anyway x

teewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:17 »
am presuming plum trees are not too easy to grow

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:40 »
They're easy enough but they're not invulnerable. I lost one in the drought two years ago. That being said, they normally grow fast and have no problems.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 13:03:50 »
I have some Damsons with leaf curl so have been reading up on diseases. Plums/Damsons are pretty hardy except for silver leaf (and drought) so it's possible that is your problem.

Silver leaf gets in through cracks and cuts so it's very important not to prune them at the wrong time of year. Only prune in the summer months i.e. between June and August when silver leaf isn't active.

The brown stain is a symptom of silver leaf - you should cut back to at least 4 inches (10cm)  beyond the staining.

Here's an article on it and what to do from good old Which?

http://www.which.co.uk/files/application/pdf/Silver%20Leaf%20Disease%20263-445-91293.pdf

teewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 18:19:29 »
thanks barnowl but due to wind have no leaves left anyway  it started out fine lovely green leaves and then gradually leaves became mottled with yellow but were still were ok then became more yellow and drooping like wilted then went brown and with the wind have all blown away

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 01:05:58 »
I was going to ask about my damson tree, it's a big tree, I never prune it and always have a huge crop... this year, although it blossomed as usual I have very few little plums showing, very scarce and wonder if anyone knows why.

Nearby are my apple and pear trees which have masses of little fruits, but my cherry tree seems to be the same, although it blossomed well, very few little cherries. Other cherries on the same allotment site have loads of fruits.

Any suggestions anyone?
Lin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal