Author Topic: Carting stuff to the Allotment.  (Read 8070 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
Carting stuff to the Allotment.
« on: June 17, 2008, 21:34:03 »
I have just been  looking back to some of the topics. Re getting stuff to the allotment. When I was a kid some 40 odd years ago my Grandfather had a truck (as did lots of other people) that he had made from wood and old pram wheels,  and as his allotment was up a steep hill about a mile away from home we had to walk there, but coming home down the hill he would put my cousin and me into the truck with all the produce and empty thermos flask, no sandwiches left either. We thought it was great in fact we fought over who sat in the front.  Today people would think you were mad if you put your kids into a home made truck and wheeled them up the street, probaly say you were ill treating them or something.   ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Carting stuff to the Allotment.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 21:51:32 »
Orelse, memories are a wonderful thing.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 22:08:50 »
Oh that sounds such fun. I remember going on a Sunday school trip to  Flamingo Land nr Malton all the way from Bradford in the back of a lorry and it rained. That was fun too.No seatbelts, no roof and not many grown up supervisors. I must have been about 6 years old.
Transporting stuff to my allotment..... got one of those platform trolleys, local school had some stuff they were slinging out so I asked and loaded up the truck (like in the Beverley Hillbillies!), then saw my Chavvy son with his mates, I shouted hello to him and he was off like a shot, wonder why??? then there was the time i got a bed frame from someone one from Freecycle.  It was to make a framework to go over the strawberry patch, covered with meash. It was from an appartment  just down the road, past the local pub. Well it was a sunny evening when I asked my friend to help me get the bed. she roped her teenage son in to help, much to his reluctance. The bed had not been taken down so was just ... yes... a bed. We struggled  and tried to dodge the people sitting outside in the beer garden, going via the churchyard. We could hear them all laughing and shouting as a few of them knew my friend. We got round the back of the church and put the bed down so we could have a rest. At that point her ex husband came round the corner to say he was in the beer garden with his new girlfriend and wondered what on earth she and his son were doing. We laughed, and laughed and could hardly pick it up again. She has not lived it down yet!!! ( and she's still my friend!!)
I've now got one of those wheely things from Aldi, like a bucket with a handle. that is good for taking things too and fro, but those wheels rattle something shocking making a right racket, everyone comes out to see what is passing. I just have to brazen it out and pretend I don't care.

syrahsuzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:16:24 »
In our village (South of France) they are still popular and there are lots of home-made carts around, either being wheeled or attached to the back of bikes or scooters for getting stuff to and from the gardens.  Also good for transporting gas bottles as we don't have town gas - never seen any kids in them tho!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:16 »
Not totally forgotten-in Jersey in the town centre I have seen nursery aged children in hand pulled 'carts' 6 to 8 at a time, but then it would be more to the french  side of things , sweet tho'. If done here your first thought would be the child catcher!

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 20:19:22 »
I always knew that people on Jersey had sense, my son in law comes from there. We go over and think its really great in fact we should be there in a couple of months, if I get time I`ll take a recky at any allotments I come across.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:35:48 »
Orelse-You will know about Big Vern's at St.Ouens beach.Yummy!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 22:10:27 »
Oh that sounds such fun. I remember going on a Sunday school trip to  Flamingo Land nr Malton all the way from Bradford in the back of a lorry and it rained. That was fun too.No seatbelts, no roof and not many grown up supervisors. I must have been about 6 years old.
Transporting stuff to my allotment..... got one of those platform trolleys, local school had some stuff they were slinging out so I asked and loaded up the truck (like in the Beverley Hillbillies!), then saw my Chavvy son with his mates, I shouted hello to him and he was off like a shot, wonder why??? then there was the time i got a bed frame from someone one from Freecycle.  It was to make a framework to go over the strawberry patch, covered with meash. It was from an appartment  just down the road, past the local pub. Well it was a sunny evening when I asked my friend to help me get the bed. she roped her teenage son in to help, much to his reluctance. The bed had not been taken down so was just ... yes... a bed. We struggled  and tried to dodge the people sitting outside in the beer garden, going via the churchyard. We could hear them all laughing and shouting as a few of them knew my friend. We got round the back of the church and put the bed down so we could have a rest. At that point her ex husband came round the corner to say he was in the beer garden with his new girlfriend and wondered what on earth she and his son were doing. We laughed, and laughed and could hardly pick it up again. She has not lived it down yet!!! ( and she's still my friend!!)
I've now got one of those wheely things from Aldi, like a bucket with a handle. that is good for taking things too and fro, but those wheels rattle something shocking making a right racket, everyone comes out to see what is passing. I just have to brazen it out and pretend I don't care.

I thought I was the only person in Britain that didn't use a car to go to and fro from the allotment.  Nice to know I have company.

I use a plastic recycling box from the Council tied to a set of shopping trolley wheels.  I did overload it once with wet leaves given to me by a neighbour and the wheels dropped off.  The second set of wheels dropped off when I was trying to lug my potatoes home.  Have acquired another set from a neighbour as a way of thanking me for doing her lawns (she was trying to save skip space).

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 16:02:57 »
In 1949/1950 when I first met my future husband (I was 14) his parents had a Greengrocery business. Often on a Sat evening we would all pile in the covered truck and go off to Dymchurch or Swalescliffe for the weekend. We made beds by extending the wheel arches with orange boxes. Husbands sister and Father slept between the wheel arches (I was not allowed to sleep next to husband :)) Future Mother-in-Law slept all night in an armchair..Memories!!

carlseawolf

• Not So New ...
    • a plot on the landscape
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 17:24:02 »
Just posted picture of my 2 wheeled lottie transport, and yes i do get strange looks ???
Ilfracombe , North Devon

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 17:31:39 »
We had one of those two pram wheel trucks, like a deep wheel barrow, I remember collecting "proven" from the corn merchants in town and pushing it home (about two miles)  ::)

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 20:31:59 »
hi there.
i am planing to get a truck to put my son in as i only live about 5 mins away from the allotment. he will be more then happy to sit in there and be pulled along, lol.
just like you have your memorys i am hopeing he will remember the good time when he is older, lol
 ;D
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 20:53:19 »
I wish we had something to take stuff to the looy in. I the Stepto would be ashamed to be seen in our car but until all the mucky stuff has gone what's the point.
Janet

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 15:38:27 »
Thats a bit posh aint it Manics
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 16:51:36 »
we have to get stuff from the car, around the bowling green, up the slope and to our plot, shirlton..Ray can't use a barrow and I can only use 1 hand..means we can get everything up there in 1 go  :)
the association bought one at the same time, we use them both for taking purchases for peeps to their cars at the plant sale  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 16:45:00 »
Thats bigger than my car Scousers.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 19:03:33 »
I've got a beetle set up for off road!!!
Perfect!  ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 19:27:00 »
I've got one of those Manics. Did not pay that much though. It was on offer in B&Q. £19.99.

Just get a cheap secondhand mobility scooter, fix a hook on it to pull the B&Q cart and away you go. If you get accused of not being disabled, just tell them you are effing psychotic, they won't argue.

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 01:49:27 »
we bought one of these to use on our plot, lightweight but quite strong  :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UTILITY-CART-4-WHEEL-TRUCK-GARDEN-TROLLEY-WHEELBARROW_W0QQitemZ390008265815QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM?hash=item390008265815&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

We have one of these - as we are ten mintues away from the allotment - I sit my youngest (nearly 2) in a trug (big bendy bucket) and the tools beside him and  his toys and away we go - he loves it  and its easier then struggling with a pram in one hand and a trolley in the other. I get very funny looks though when people realise there's a little boy peeking out! We get lots of comments on site about it but it's just the job and very strong.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal