Author Topic: Carrots? Don't talk to me about carrots!  (Read 9545 times)

pamie

Re: Carrots? Don't talk to me about carrots!
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2018, 19:07:01 »
Do they have much sunlight?

I also try every year without much success but this year I decided to grow them in pots.

I had two pots, both situated in different areas. One in an area that gets both sun and shade (I'll be lucky to get 6 carrots!!), and the other in a sun trap area (the pot is bursting with carrots, so much so that I'm going to have to this them out).

I'm no expert when it comes to carrots, but worth a try??

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2018, 08:34:34 »
I love carrots and home grown ones taste so much better than supermarket ones.  Also the smell!!
But on London clay with a massive slug problem and carrot fly they can prove very hard.
However I seem to have done ok this year.
The clay issue I deal with by making specially raised carrot beds full of spent compost, sand, coir or whatever I can get that isn't too high in ferts..
Germination - I go late - May probably but my ex farmer buddy leaves it to June.  His all came up in a week!  Water every day if it doesn't rain.
Slugs - well I still lost loads to slugs but beer traps in the carrot bed helped.
Fly - I grow behind mesh. They still get in but no many..

Had some decent thinnings yesterday - yum.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 09:48:57 »
So how did your carrots turn out?
These were sown 1st week of June, directly into raised no-dig bed following Brussels sprouts.
 First picture is start of row, showing bed profile 24/08 August
Second id from the mid row, Mid Sept
Variety Giant Red -realseeds
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:52:31 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 16:56:58 »
I have never been successful with carrots but I try every year, and have to admit that I have a good crop so far this year I still have quite a lot in at the moment which look quite healthy so not sure when to harvest them and wonder if I can leave them in and dig some out as and when needed
Barnsley S Yorks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 08:44:11 »
Last year I sowed some on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year, and they were brilliant, they germinated within hours>

I sowed some on a very hot day late July this year and again up they sprung and they are now ready eating the thinnings.   Have had to do a lot of watering.

I let some go to seed so I could save it, and they are germinating all over the place>

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal