Author Topic: Good idea or not  (Read 1377 times)

Stevens706

• Acre
Good idea or not
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:17 »
I’m thinking of putting chicken manure pellets into a drinks bottle upended with a hole in the cap to water and feed courgettes and squashes at the same time.

Does anyone see a reason why this is not a good idea of dissolving chicken manure pellets as a liquid fertiliser.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Good idea or not
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:13:30 »
Will you be using this cocktail every time you water? if so make it weak and keep it off the leaves I think! I have heard this mix called 'rocket fuel'.I usually dig in the pellets at the time of planting.Hope I haven't confused.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 14:25:14 »
I don't see the point.

The pellets; or should I say the chicken droppings; are pelleted and covered in a lacquer to form a slow release fertiliser, otherwise it would be quick release if applied it its raw state.

Over the season the subsequent water content and temperature of the soil acts on the lacquer and releases the fertiliser in an amount that the plants can handle.

What you are doing is speeding this process up so the plant will run out of fuel sooner, plus the fact with courgettes and squashes you may find you get more leaf production at the expense of fruit.

I never feed my curcubits until fruit has formed so as to avoid this situation.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 14:36:35 »
Hi - I also would not be in favour of this idea.  It would be difficult to guage how much was being given at any time - If I was wanting to do this - I have in the past done it with sheep poo!  Put the poo in a sack into a bin of water and then use that as an occasional feed diluting it by colour really so the darker it is the less you use - if you can understand my reasoning!

I have collected a lot of chicken poo from my girl at home and I am hoping that this is drying out when I will then bash it down to make it fine and sprinkle it on the beds next spring!

Probably kill everything - but trial and error!

Old Bird

;D

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 16:46:22 »
Thanks for your replies - I will rethink this one

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 17:16:39 »
If you want to use them, what about sprinkle sparingly around the base of the plant occassionally as you would with slug pellets?  They would take time to be absorbed and you can also monitor hom much you are giving.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal