Author Topic: Cole Park Allotments - Twickenham Road, Isleworth  (Read 13080 times)

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
Cole Park Allotments - Twickenham Road, Isleworth
« on: April 08, 2008, 21:32:33 »
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how many people on here have a plot at the Cole Park Allotments in Isleworth, Middlesex?

The allotment is just down the road from our house and have been considering applying for a while as I don't really have the room at our rented property to grow fruit and veg and now have the time during the day to attend a plot, due to a change of career.

I popped down to the allotment this morning to find out who I should contact and a gentleman gave me some information, decided to get straight on the phone and after searching the internet found a number for the council. After explaining which site I was interested in, they told me that the current waiting time is around 2 1/2 years.. even though the gentleman told me that sites are available but need work :(

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about the site.. Are there are any plots that haven't been used in recent times? If there are and I could get hold of the plot numbers I could try ringing the council and explaining that these plot numbers are not currently used and see if there is any way I can speed up the waiting time!  :-X

I am really desperate to get a plot and the thought of waiting two + years is a nightmare LOL

Many Thanks,

Lawrence
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 21:34:43 by lwbroome »

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Cole Park Allotments - Twickenham Road, Isleworth
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 21:51:12 »
All I would say is be careful you don't pee them off if you want to get on the site at some point. I would try again and maybe quote some of the plot numbers that are empty and need working and maybe explain how keen you are and that you are able to go up in the daytime to clear plot etc etc. You might not get anywhere and still have to put name on a waiting list.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 21:59:45 »
All I would say is be careful you don't pee them off if you want to get on the site at some point. I would try again and maybe quote some of the plot numbers that are empty and need working and maybe explain how keen you are and that you are able to go up in the daytime to clear plot etc etc. You might not get anywhere and still have to put name on a waiting list.

Hi glosterwomble,

Thanks for the response, sorry not sure if I have worded my post incorrectly as I really don't want to upset anyone. The only reason I was asking is I have read on here that council's have said in the past that sites are full yet plots lay covered in weeds from being left unused as they don't always check that they are being maintained. I was thinking that if I could prove that certain plots are not being used that there may be a small chance that it would be offered to someone else thus making the waiting list shorter.

Regards,

Lawrence
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 22:10:13 by lwbroome »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 22:13:40 »
May be an Idea to pop down the allotment at the weekend and see if you can find a committee member.Just t chat and ask about the situation.

You could ask if any half plots are likely to come up or ask if they know anyone who may need a hand and share.

Be careful how you choose your words.I am a great believer in using Initiative and good luck.

Another thought,are there any other allotments in your area. :)

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 22:57:04 »
May be an Idea to pop down the allotment at the weekend and see if you can find a committee member.Just t chat and ask about the situation.

You could ask if any half plots are likely to come up or ask if they know anyone who may need a hand and share.

Be careful how you choose your words.I am a great believer in using Initiative and good luck.

Hi betula,

I was thinking about popping back down to the allotment and guess it can't hurt so will pop down sunday afternoon and see if I can have a chat wilth someone  ;)

Our council have a company running it's leasure services but they have from what I was told lost the contract and a new management company will take over the allotment fully in June! I may just have to wait until they take over before I make any further enquiries.

When I called today the guy on the phone seemed helpfull and has said he will put an application form in the post but again explained the lengthy waiting list but at least I will have my name down.

Didn't expect a plot would be available straight away but was supprised at the two + year waiting list after being told that there are plots unused but in need of work  ::)

All the best,

Lawrence

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 23:01:04 »

Sorry forgot to answer this, yes there are other allotments in the area but judging from the council website they also have waiting lists and with them being further away they would be less convenient to get to... :(

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 20:27:01 »
Guess what.........

PM'd Isleworth TW7 and told him about our two vacant half plots.  He came to look on Saturday, chose the one that I would look at and run away screaming.

Seems up for a challenge!

Good luck

So that's one half plot still to go................any takers??  We are in Park Road opposite Syon Park.

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:29:44 »
Yes as Sharon has said.. thanks to her I am now in the process of taking over a 6 Pole Plot in Park Road, Isleworth  ;D ;D ;D

Just waiting for the contract to arrive and for CIP to get some keys cut to the gates as they don't currently have any available...

I'm so excited about taking on the plot, even though growing anything is a distant dream until we have cleared it etc...

Have made a blog, which I will keep updated with pics etc.. if anyone is interested in checking the progress over time:

http://www.plot31a.blogspot.com

~

;) Lawrence
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:36:24 by IsleworthTW7 »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:08:47 »
That does look as if it's going to take a 'bit of work' (!), but congratulations on using your initiative to actually get an allotment and good luck with your growing.

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 18:50:44 »
Thanks Barnowl  ;)

Started clearing yesterday with help from my dad and i'm really pleased with the result after the first proper day working on the plot! At least I can see some soil now  ;D

~

Lawrence
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 18:53:16 by IsleworthTW7 »

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 19:21:56 »
Wow - Respect ;D ;D

Plot 103 CPA

• www.coleparkallotments.org.uk
    • Cole Park Allotments
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 23:16:20 »
Hi
Cole Park Allotments Association can help

Regards Pat G
Plot 103
<font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cole Park Allotments
</font>

Isleworth

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:26:55 »
Hi
Cole Park Allotments Association can help

Regards Pat G
Plot 103

Thanks Pat,

Since my initial post I have managed to get a plot over at Park Road Allotments, but many thanks for replying.

Kind Regards,

Lawrence

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 12:40:16 »
Lawrence - Love the plot - aren't you lucky having use of that beautiful wall!!!  I am really envious of that the number of things that you can grow up and against - fab!!

Won't be long before you have stuff growing either.  Probably already have now!

I have just checked that dates of your posting!!

Keep us updated with piccies!

Old Bird

;D

Plot 103 CPA

• www.coleparkallotments.org.uk
    • Cole Park Allotments
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 14:55:10 »
Hi Lawrence
Really glad to here you have a plot at Park Road, and are now an allotmenteer.
Heres some photos off my plot in the second year! Meant to inspire.
http://www.coleparkallotments.org.uk/images/ownimages/photos/Allotment/Allotment%20Photos/Allotment30July2006/Allotment30July2006/index.html
Not so good this year as we have been to Africa and back in the new campervan this year.
However having an allotment and cultivating our own vegetables have been the second best thing I did that year.
Good luck and Happy Gardening!! ;D
<font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cole Park Allotments
</font>

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 18:07:03 »
Started clearing yesterday with help from my dad and i'm really pleased with the result after the first proper day working on the plot! At least I can see some soil now  ;D

It looks in quite good nick now the brambles have been cleared.  Not as bad as you initially thought then eh?
Good look,  and enjoy.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal