Author Topic: Calabrese broccoli question  (Read 866 times)

star10

• Not So New ...
Calabrese broccoli question
« on: June 14, 2008, 19:39:38 »
I have some massive broccoli plants in my raised beds, which have just started growing tiny little broccoli's in the middle. (I'm so proud!!)  ;D

Having never grown these before, I was wondering can the leaves be taken off the plant or trimmed back abit?, would this make the broccoli grow any better? Also, are the leaves edible?  ???

Thank you for your replies xx

star10

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Calabrese broccoli question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 20:10:18 »
I leave the calabrese to do their own thing but I do cover with enviromesh as I'm not too keen on maggot protein with my greens :-X :-X

As with cauliflower, I remove any old lower leaves that are looking a bit tired but other than that I let them get on with it.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 13:01:54 »
I don't recommend the leaves, they are kind of tough and not very tasty (from a mistaken trial last year where romanesco broccoli was mistaken for green gabbage ha ha).
I would take off any leaves that look a bit tired, I think it gives better growth to the broccoli.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 14:15:10 »
I have heard some people tie the leaves over the head of broccoli to promote a firm growth and prevent it from blowing.  I have not had much look with Calabrese before but have some in again this year.  Yet to see what harvest brings..... :-\
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal