Author Topic: Problem Weed and Dead Slugs  (Read 2518 times)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Problem Weed and Dead Slugs
« on: August 09, 2008, 21:35:00 »
My small pond (no fish but taddies and frogs) has been covered with this weed this year! I,v read the thread on blanket weed and it doesn,t sound like that, each leaf seems to have it,s own little root so can,t be wound up. also I am having to net dead slugs out of the water nearly every morning. nothing against dead slugs but not in the middle of my pond!
can anybody help? By the way the yellow thing is a leaf and after I took this pic I noticed a frogs head had got in the frame!

marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Problem Weed and Dead Slugs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 23:22:00 »
you have duck weed, it covers the pool and stops the sunlight getting through so no blanket weed will grow.
My chickens love it but you can throw it on the garden or compost it good for plants does not grow on the garden.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 00:15:16 »
Don't laugh please, I've got a tiny sort of a wildlife pool here and it gets duckweed too, and I find easiest thing is to use a cheapo plastic sieve lashed onto a cane to skim it off the top when it gets bad. Goes well on compost heap  ;D

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:18 »
Why remove duckweed from a wildlife pond?
The creatures love it and it keeps the water clear and free from too much nitrogen.
I leave mine and when rooting around in it I often find baby newts using it as a platform.  ;D

BTW leave the dead slugs too they are food for the wildlife in the pond, lol the leeches (and frogs) love them!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:16:40 by Ishard »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal