Author Topic: nasturtiums & blackfly  (Read 4030 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
nasturtiums & blackfly
« on: June 15, 2008, 17:10:29 »
Hi everyone ive grown nasturtiums for the first time & enjoyed my first ever salad made from the flowers & leaves last week.
Today they are infested with black fly!
What do I need to do?....I feel like pulling them all up before the black fly spreads to everything else.
Are they suggested as companion plants because they attract black fly away from other things?
Or do they actually just encourage black fly?
Thanks for any help 

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: nasturtiums & blackfly
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 17:17:07 »
Spray with soft soap solution to remove blackfly. I think the belief behind their use as companion plants is that they attract blackfly away from others, but I've never found it to work for very long.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 17:20:25 »
I love nasturtiums, but I've given up growing them for that reason. They attract blackfly, which then spread to other things as well!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 17:32:48 »
Thanks Trevor & Rosa...I will pick off the worst bits & spray the rest with soapy water.
If I will grow nasturtiums next year I will use pots so i can move them away from other crops when the are covered in yukky blackfly.

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 20:55:56 »
I only have a few blackfly on my nasturtiums. However, my cherry tree, willow and broad been on allotment are full of em on new growth. The willow and cherry have literally thousands of em - can't see the leaves at some point!

I have a few ladybirds there - more than earlier in year, but i counted 5 today including 3 in the baby stage. They are no match for the blackfly. I don't like the idea of using sprays, but resorted last week to an organic bug spray as the 2 trees were losing leaves and the broad beans were wilting. Doesn't seem to have done anything.

Any suggestions?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 20:58:38 »
I've pinched out the soft growth on the plants affected with blackfly, I know it works on broadies so am trying it on our cherry, I've also used derris, just hope the tree is okay, hope your crops are okay  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal