Author Topic: My new allotment in Alsager..  (Read 2979 times)

olicat

• Quarter Acre
  • my back garden veg plot..
My new allotment in Alsager..
« on: June 11, 2008, 20:21:43 »
Just been to see where my allotment is as it's not in my town.....no idea which one will be mine, but guess it maybe the one with the weeds and pile of rotting carpet on it!  Will officially see it tomorrow at 5pm..

Will take a picture when i know which one is mine.
It's the Good Life!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: My new allotment in Alsager..
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 21:10:09 »
Ahhhh.  The love of the open air.  All allotments............. are an adventure ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:07 »
Well done Olicat - I was on the waiting list in Alsager ( not my town either) for 2 years but by the time one came up we'd been on another site for a year & are sticking with that.  Glad you got a plot there, when I walked them all to see what the chances were of getting a plot, they all looked in pretty good nick ( hence putting my name down elsewhere) and in nice settings.

Have fun
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

olicat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 18:28:34 »
Just seen my new plot....it's small. but enough for a starter....  It's half a plot and met the lady who has the other half.  Free for the first year, then only £11 per year after that!

Soil looks good, nice and crumbly and not compacted which will make it a bit easier i hope!

Can't have a shed on it though :(   Forgot to take the camera for pics! 

Will be back at the weekend to start a bit of digging....
It's the Good Life!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 17:16:39 »
Oh, I was looking forward to the photos of your new plot!  It doesn't sound too bad, if it seems on the small side it is just quicker to get it into shape eh!

Just woken up from nights, back again tonight... :( Won't get down my lottie for a spot of watering until tomorrow....curses!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

olicat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:42:31 »
I am thinking ahead here... at the end of my plot there are a load of trees over hanging the plot, its council land, a nature reserve..!  Now, in autumn, do i leave the leaves and dig them in or do i put them on the compost heap??

Have not been back to my plot as need new brakes on my car so grounded till Monday!

Will make a dash the markets and garden centres and see what i can grab to plant as quickly as i can!
It's the Good Life!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 13:10:08 »
You can bag them in plastic bags & they will rot down into a leafmould that you can use on your plot to feed plants and soil.  Never had to use it myself though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 16:28:25 »
we shove leaves in the bottom of the carrot/parsnip beds, also put some in the 'dalek, alternated with grass clippings, makes good potting compost next year, some goes in plastic bags to be added to beds and some goes in the compost heap (we're next to a bowling green, surrounded with trees )  ;D
good, free source of compost

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal