Author Topic: Political Rant - most unusual for me!!  (Read 7102 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Political Rant - most unusual for me!!
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 20:10:24 »
One thought, on topic, and a bonus point for who can tell me the artist that wrote "The lessons of the past were all learnt with workers blood".

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 20:14:17 »
Can recommend Sloe gin made by the sloe motion company.............Cheers to you all :)............hic

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 20:25:32 »
One thought, on topic, and a bonus point for who can tell me the artist that wrote "The lessons of the past were all learnt with workers blood".

Billy Bragg 'There Is Power In A Union' 1988
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO56Krg1e8A

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 21:03:17 »
Sawfish,
             If I was you I would sort out your own bigotted city and country before you have a go at me, but do not worrie I'll keep stumping up the dosh to 'Gordy'  ;)

OOH, I am hurt Alf. A rascist too, surprise surprise!

I think you'll find the empire you probaly still love died some time ago.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 22:38:42 »
some one asked what is a living wage
the government says it is any thing more than 16,492 a year as you fall below the poverty line if earn less than this
I did not realise just how poor i am :o

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 23:00:58 »
yes kimbobill i did i was amazed to learn about the 10 hour night thing, my nhs trust obviously get around this by putting an hour and a half break into the night so although we are there longer then that that is all we officially work and get paid for

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 23:43:13 »
I hope no one crosses their picket lines or scabs,

Good God - a militant Tory! Whatever next - Blue Wedge?

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 00:55:50 »
Redclanger,
                  I'm impressed by your  academia if you think that your job is crap and by the sound of your post you suggest that then go and be a Tanker driver but remember they do not get the same holidays like your lot get, and by the way do you know how to grind in a crankshaft of course you do that is why you are a junior school teacher and I have dirty finger nails ;)

I think you are very rude Mr Smith and very ignorant too. 

I would like to point out that teachers work extremely long hours.  Before I got married I shared a house with a teacher whose evenings and weekends were spent preparing for lessons the next day.  In the holidays she would always have work to do too. 

These days things are even worse than that.  A friend of mine who is now a deputy head is absolutely inundated with work at home.  She goes into school at 7am, doesn't leave until after 5pm and then has all this work to do in the evenings and at weekends.  She doesn't get long holidays as she is expected to go into school to prepare for the next term. 

Rant over.  Coming back to the salary earned by tanker drivers, I think it is excessive.  I bet there are proportionately more people killed or injured who work for the public sector than those driving a tanker. 

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 07:06:36 »
Pauline,
              Thanks for your comments I'm sure Redclanger can take a bit of stick like I do being called a bigot which I'm not, have a nice day off to the lotty now :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 07:17:34 »

Billy Bragg 'There Is Power In A Union' 1988
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO56Krg1e8A

First prize to you Mr Baccy, have a bag of peace nuts... And that's the point. Just because one group of people have organised themselves to resist exploitation, doesn't mean the rest of us should be bitter. If they were paid less, it would only make a tiny amount more profit for the oil companies. It wouldn't save any of us a penny. So I say good luck to them!

As for why are the forces paid so little? Because they can get away with it, and you have to admit that a lot of the job is cool (apart from the "being shot at", of course. I wouldn't like that at all, especially being a pacifist and also wanting to live).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2008, 09:01:44 »
I think that the work of Nurses & Teachers is actually more predictably daily hazardous or unpleasant than that of our dear old peacetime aircrew chap. Or chappess these days!

But the expression 'cool' that keeps cropping up interests me. I can't speak from current experience but, based on what little I do have, I would see today's crews as being severely limited in flying time of any sort because of expense, & what little they do get can hardly be called jollification. It is mostly flying a very sophisticated beast to the limit, day & night, on operational training. Gone are the days when you could take an aircraft home for the weekend!!
And where would you be, up Snowdon in your plimsolls in the snow, or surfing off Newquay, without the Rescue chopper?

Interesting, the 'living wage'? Glad to see that Trevor just made it!! Sad to think of the number of national servants who are on the borderline.

I am not really the 'Big Chief Moaning Elk' as the Apprentices once dubbed me - on presenting me with my Indian headdress - but I do think it useful for those of us who are better placed to be occasionally reminded of the anomalies of the present system.

Please don't spill blood over any of my remarks?

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 00:56:53 »
You have a really good way of putting things accross Tim, its much appreciated...... by me anyway.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal