Author Topic: Is it to late?  (Read 2389 times)

trinity

• Acre
Is it to late?
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:46 »
Hi I an in the northeast of England (Hartlepool) and have just been told I will be offered an allotment in the next couple of weeks many of the seeds that I have say they can be planted up until late may. I know we are about a month behind the south an the beginning of the year. but dose that still apply now ??? and I can still plant if i do it very soon (today or tomorrow) or should i just get starter  plants ??? i don't have very much money, I only have around 100 pound but I need to get tools ( which tools are essential as have only grown in pots up till now). I do have some plants to go in but not enough to fill an allotment I have just been to see the allotments that are vacant and they are very overgrown with weeds, I have a lot of people who have offered to help me dig it over so that should be easy enough done but I don't want to have empty beds until next spring. so that i have to dig it over again any advice would be appreciated

PS I am so excited  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ren1

• Not So New ...
Re: Is it to late?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:12:07 »
Hi

Last year I was working a patch on my friends plot and didnt get enough space dug for things according to the packets.  So I decided - how will the seeds know if it's may or june (or even july!!) Had good results.

It really depends on length of time taken to grow & when autumn starts coming in. 

My attitude is to give it a go, it's all part of the learning!!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:16:20 »
It's never too late !! ;D  A plot!! How wonderful ... go for it!!  8)

This will help you plan what and when:
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/veg_planner.asp

The VERY BEST 'book at bedtime' Joy Larkcom's Grow you Own Vegetables

Decide exactly what it is you like and wish to grow, and then maybe buy a few of the plants that would give you a challenge to grow from seed this year!  You can then pot them on at home while you prepare the ground!

As for tools ... an allotmenteers creed is never spend money if you can avoid it!!  My tools if I have to buy come from places like Asda and Wilkos ... my rake cost £3!!  8)

There's lots of folk here to help, so never be afraid to ask ... I'm always about  ;)

Flo  :)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:38 »
Trinity what a result then!!!

Wasn't it you that they said there was a 3 year waiting list?

With regard to your money!!!

Don't buy new garden tools - go to car boots - see small ads for these - even ask for them on Freecycle! One of the reasons is that new stuff is not as good quality as older forks and spades - you may need to replace a couple of handles - but if you look at garden forks in shops the prongs are really thick whereas old ones are really thin and much easier for working the ground as they go in easier!!!

I would buy a fork, spade, hoe (not essential - just useful) hand fork/trowel and a rake.  That should get you started.

I am sure that you could plant seeds now of some things  Possibly a bit late for some stuff though - but you can plant salad stuff direct, turnips,  plus if you buy a few things like greens, leeks  (only when you have a space for them ready) you should be able to equip the lottie for some of the winter also!.

Good luck with it and remember to take your camera for before, during and after photos!

Old Bird

;D

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:26:20 »
the waiting list was supposed to be six years but complained frequently set sevral letters to my local paper and took photographs and sent them to the council the Mayor and my local councilor and generally made a pest of my self the chap 2 in front of me on the list phoned me the other day to thank me as he has been waiting for nearly 4 years

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:58 »
Well done Trinity - you obviously put the proverbial bomb under them!  I think once you are settled there you ought to get elected to the committee to make sure they don't slide again into apathy!

I have and my site has improved dramatically with only one plot looking a bit dodgy.  there is now a lot more of a "community spirit" with people sharing their tools - one lady has a petrol rotovator - I am putting in a petrol strimmer etc. and basically helping each other out!

As it should be - methinks!

Old Bird
 ;D

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:47:02 »
There isn't a committee yet ;) there is only the allotment officer and the lady that you talk to at adult and community services at the council who always seem as annoyed with the situation as I am. I must have phoned the allotment officer 50 times and been told i could leave him a message and that he would ring back which just never happend I am going to a car boot  on sunday so will look for tools then  ;D

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 15:09:56 »
It is a good time to pick up bargains in places such as Tescos as soon they will sell off gardening stuff to replace it with' back to school'.  W.I  may still have a few bean plants,just to get you started and if you have got tommy plants or know someone who has you could pot up some side shoots ,plants for free!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 15:29:44 »
If you are getting your plot in a couple of weeks, what about starting some seedlings now? Sowing and planting now will be fine.  I live in Guisborough & would still be sowing now if I had any room left......

I think this link will be very helpful to you:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,42826.msg429343.html#msg429343
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 15:47:54 »
yes i agree - start of some things now in pots (I even use flat boxes lined with plastic!) you can start off lots of things and plant them as you go: beetroot, lettuce, courgettes or pumpkins, sweetcorn if you like, broccoli, winter cabbage.
You can direct sow now lots of beans and carrots - you are a bit late for spuds (the trouble will be with getting them now). Good time to get some leek plants in, they are often cheap to buy.
And of course i would get in some plants for outdoor tomatoes, they are the best bits of summer.
Keep space for fruit! butyou will need to put that in in teh autumn or early spring (liek strawbs).
For tools I use a fork, spade, hoe, handtrowel which for me are teh strict min. I also use often a mattock and pickaxe!! but I gotta lotta weeds :-)
have fun
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 11:11:40 »
thank u every one for your advice

I have lots of tomato plants at home in the garden i have 6 that i have no room for in the front garden hid behind my hedge so they don't get stolen that i was going to give away  but now will be keeping
 how do you pot up tom side shoots do you have to do any thing special with them ???

i spent 60p this morning at my local garden center and got
10 broccoli
10 purple sprouting broccoli
10 summer cabages
10 sprouts
and 2 rhubarb crowns
they where getting rid of them to put out squashes and stuff as it is a small place and they don't have much room there is nothing wrong with them just needed potting up so have crammed them in to 3 grow bags and the rhubarb in to a big pot until i get my allotment and can get them in the ground

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 11:34:35 »
I think your a bit late for doing the sideshoot trick, but what you do is plant the sideshoot that you pinch from a tomato plant, and heypresto a new plant grows.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 22:41:19 »
I just have to add I am so excited ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 22:55:02 »
I think we can tell!  ;)

Well done, persistence pays off.  Hopefully only a few lottie-less days left!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 00:04:21 »
Well trinity, half of me is totally, absolutely and utterly green with envy as we have no allotments in this area.

The other half is yee ha.  Enjoy.

We only have our small garden, but we cram as much as we can into it.  There is nothing quite as satisfying as going out and picking your own.

Hope it gives you many years of satisfaction.

valmarg

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 00:08:17 »
Congrats, Trinity, well deserved after all your efforts.

There's still loads you can grow, as others have said.
There's a couple of veg I completely overlooked that should have been started off by now (according to the packet instructions) and others that have been destroyed by slugs so I need to sow again. Following tips from the A4A experts (take a bow, folks!) I'm sowing the seeds indoors between two layers of damp kitchen roll, sealed in plastic takeaway containers and they've been incredibly quick to germinate. I'm particularly pleased with the results of the parsnip seeds - if they all make it, I'll be supplying the South East come Autumn!

Oh and if there's any seeds you'd like to try, just shout.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 00:43:31 »
Whatever you do this year, the most important mantra for allotmenteering is - "There is always next year".  Hopefully, you will get something going this year - there is plenty you can do - there is a thread in edibles, but if the weeds are too much, the pests very hungry, and everything does fail - there is always next year - it will be better for most things, and things that fail next year - there is always the year after. :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 18:58:20 »
no phone call about the plot today :'( I will phone them tomorrow if I have not heard by lunch time and will keep u all posted on what happens

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 21:07:52 »
Good on yer Trinity you finally wore them down, I bet the bloke in front of you wished he had pestered them a bit more, where abouts is the site Trin as I will be up in Hartlepool on Thursday to see the outlaws and we have a wedding to go to, now where did I put that monkey suit.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 10:24:56 »
It will be at seaton station but i have not got it yet :'( have just ween told i will be offered one within two weeks an that was about a week an a half ago so pestering will commence again this afternoon if i have not heard any thing  ;D
you will be welcome to visit when u are here when i do get it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal