Author Topic: Tomato plants burnt in greenhouse?  (Read 5876 times)

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
Tomato plants burnt in greenhouse?
« on: June 12, 2008, 20:28:05 »
Hi all!

The tomato plants i planted out into grow bags a couple of weeks ago seem to be thriving! I'm a little concerned my greenhouse is too hot though as i noticed a few burnt(?) leaves today. Also the salads i was growing appear to have been singed! I've got one of those £30 cheapy plastic sheet greenhouses - is it causing my greenhouse to overheat?

Below are some photos of healthy and burnt leaves...

STEVEB

• Acre
Re: Tomato plants burnt in greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 20:52:11 »
sure looks like it remember even on a overcast day it gets really hot in there leave the flap open
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:36:49 »
well after looking at your photos im no expert but would say have you got any water on your leaves firstly as onece this has happend then a good few days of sun could do this very easy also over watering can also do this the soil needs to be moist without being wet the plant will let you know when it needs more the leaves tend to become a little limp if there isnt enough for them to drink feed once the flowers start

i might stand corrected but thats what i tend to look  for as ive also made few mistakes when it comes to it we all do thats why this forum great we all learn as there is so much information on offer

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 14:55:08 »
Great, thanks for the replies guys - advice duly noted!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 19:39:49 »
If you think its getting too hot in the greenhouse, and the plants are getting scorched, you could use shading.

There is a product called Coolglass (I think) which is painted on the greenhouse glass to create shade.

We use fleece to shade the plants in the greenhouse, fixed in the eaves with clips  Much easier to put in, and doesn't need washing off,  Also, if there's a bit of a breeze, with all the windows, vents and doors open, acts as a bit of a fan.

valmarg

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 21:37:28 »
Yes, 'BIO Coolglass' is the product - I sprayed it on my greenhouse glass today :)  You mix it with water and can paint or spray it on.  They say it can be easily wiped off with a duster, though they recommend you test it first before putting it on plastic as the product is chiefly for use on glass.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 23:08:38 »
It was over 50C+ in my plastic greenhouse the other day, as that is the upper limit on my max/min thermometer.
When I went in, my eyes steamed up.
Most of the plants were fine, but a couple of tomatoes near the top were burnt.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal