Author Topic: Wood-boring insects  (Read 1900 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Wood-boring insects
« on: June 12, 2008, 17:15:31 »
Something - probably a beetle? - has bored three small holes (but quite deep judging by the amount of sawdust) in a decaying branch of Jasmine in my garden.  This is in the wildlife area so I am perfectly content to leave it be but I just wondered if anyone knew what insect it is likely to be and whether it is a 'goody' or a 'baddy'.  Thanks in anticipation.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Wood-boring insects
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:32:46 »
We have carpenter bees in our area that drill a perfect dime-sized hole about the size of the tip of the little finger. Very destructive BEEsties. Carpenter ants also do a job.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 13:05:49 »
It could well be some type of wood wasp. These look horrendous to some, are very large and often resemble wasps in colour. They do not have a sting but a huge ovi-depositer to lay eggs, which is the bit that scares people. They do no harm.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 13:07:00 »
Just had another thought, it could be a beetle boring out rather thann in, like the dutch elm disease beetle.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 17:36:24 »
I saw one yesterday.  It was black and a good centimetre long.  It had a very destinctive head, thorax and abdomen and looked like a large ant.  It flew off pretty quickly before I could grab the camera.  Could this be a carpenter ant as mentioned by Grannie Annie?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 19:50:42 »
Not if it flew off like that. But ants are related to wasps and bees.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal