Author Topic: Potatoes, earthing up and other such stuff  (Read 1290 times)

Yampybird

• Not So New ...
  • Telford, Shropshire
Potatoes, earthing up and other such stuff
« on: June 11, 2008, 23:45:33 »
Hiya

Been digging, and I now have a plot on my lottie big enough to put some spuds in.  I'm aiming to try and get some plug plants.  What am I looking for?

When I plant do I have to do anything special to the soil?  The soil is quite a heavy clay, but strangely well drained (I know the two shouldn't go hand in hand - but I have a sloping site so the water doesn't sit), its quite rocky and has never been worked before - not in living memory of our longest standing allotmenteer - 23 years.

This earthing up thing, what does it involve, at what stage do I do it?

Sorry for the list of questions, just want to try and get it right. ???

Thanks in advance

....slightly potty but not dangerous

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Potatoes, earthing up and other such stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 23:57:10 »
Potatoes start from seed potatoes, not from plug plants.  Seed potatoes are special potatoes grown specifically to grow for a crop rather than eat.  It's pretty late now to plant seed potatoes but if you can find any, not much to lose by trying, they're not hugely expensive and are likely to be reduced by now.  Places to try Wilko's, B&Q, Homebase, Woolworths, Pound shops etc are usually cheaper than garden centres.  You won't get much choice of variety at this stage so just take what you can get, but make sure they haven't gone soft and shrunken.  If they have shoots (chits) on that's OK.

Earthing up is done when the plants reach around 8".  You draw the soil up from the sides of the plant to cover most of the leaves.  This encourages more tubers to form and it excludes light from the developing potatoes so you don't get green potatoes.

Can't help with your clay soil, I'm on free-draining sandy loam where the challenge is to hold onto moisture!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Potatoes, earthing up and other such stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:48:22 »
If you're planting them now, look for early varieties which can still give you a crop.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal