Author Topic: Anybody done or doing the Allotment Supervisors Job?  (Read 3224 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Anybody done or doing the Allotment Supervisors Job?
« on: May 11, 2009, 22:27:15 »
Today I received a telephone call from our local council to ask if I would like the job of Allotment Supervisor for our 2 sites.  It basically involves showing newbies plots when available,  ensuring others are cultivating theirs.  It is also a go between for plot holders and the council.

I am happy to take the job and I hope it is what I believe it to be.  Does anybody have any experience of doing this on their site.  Any good points, bad points, questions I should be asking on Thursday.  Many thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 23:04:19 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Anybody done or doing the Allotment Supervisors Job?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:48 »
basically you will be the sec,do you have an association/society?
you will prob also be responsible for fund apps,plot inspections,notices to quit if needed,managing the waiting list,putting up with moans etc.it is a thankless task but i do find it rewarding,good to be able to give something back.
good luck and if you need anymore info im happy to help
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:30:59 »
You'd be better off forming a committee and delegating or sharing some of that. If you have a group of people who need to make a decision about a plot's state of cultivation, let's say, then you're a lot less vulnerable.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:46:20 »
We're a totally independent site, which is why I didn't reply earlier. But I agree with Robert - form a committee, because trying to do it on your own is an impossible task and a very good way of making lots of enemies in a short time!

My job as Secretary - which sounds very much what you would be doing - is to allocate new plots and make sure newcomers know the ropes and get made to feel at home; to go round the site talking to people and sorting out any queries or problems they may have; liaising with the Trustees who own the land and the local community who are our neighbours; dealing with all correspondance; checking up on members who - for one reason or another - are not cultivating their plots; organising meetings; making sure notices are put up (and taken down); and probably a lot more things I can't think of off the top of my head.

It's very time-consuming! But very rewarding!

And if the Council has asked you to do the job, it probably means they think you're the best one to do it. (Either that, or they can't find another idiot volunteer!)

If you can get some like-minded folk around you, give it a whirl!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 16:33:34 »
(Either that, or they can't find another idiot volunteer!)

So thats whats been up with our last two Secretaries. ;) ;D

I also agree with the possibilty of 'making enemies'.

But seriously; if you show strength of character rather than the 'I'm in charge' approach all should run quite smoothly.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 19:34:16 »
If it was an independent site then I would agree with the idea of a committee.

With a Council-run site a committee may well reduce your vulnerability. However, it may also get in the way and make decision-making more difficult.

As Tee Gee says, this is probably a question about strength of character. If you feel confident in your own ability then I would recommend that you do it on your own. If you would feel more comfortable with some official support then go down the committee route.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 17:54:17 »
I took on the job as of Thursday and get all the documents relating to the plots in 2 weeks.  Having had a good walk round at the weekend,  we appear to have at least 7 fully overgrown plots of which tenants have not been seen by their neighbours this side of Christmas. 
Plus today i have had a chap who wants to give up 1/2 a plot.  So I will get to contacting people then.  Good timing really as the rents are also due in two weeks; so there may be more plots to allocate afterwards.   

I'll update a month or so after starting. ::) ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 19:44:30 »
Here's wishing  you all the best with your venture KT.

You might find keeping pictures and a diary of events/happenings might be worthwhile!

Its strange how opinions change when there is 'trouble at mill'

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 20:08:10 »
As someone who does my sites plot assessments, I would also recommend taqking photos of all the plots. It not only makes for a nice archive, but in case of any disputes they can be really useful. Good luck!! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal