Author Topic: indoor tomatoes - do i limit trusses?  (Read 2070 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
indoor tomatoes - do i limit trusses?
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:58:15 »
i've never had a greenhouse before, only grown tomatoes outside, where I have usually limited plants to 4 trusses to ensure they ripen. do i just let greenhouse toms keep going or do you usually pinch them out for any reason other than reaching the top of the house?

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: indoor tomatoes - do i limit trusses?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:02:07 »
Hi legless. I usually go for 6 or 7 depending how early the first truss set. What sort you growing?

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:09:31 »
depending how you have them planted in the groung with the bottom of the pots cut off or just stand alone pots its got more to do with head room height .
i tend to pinch the tops when they look about right and the plant has grown enough for the space i have allowed for them .

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 08:37:07 »
When they hit the roof....

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:52:24 »
I'm growing mine on strings this year, after seeing commercial toms that reach over 30 ft. by bending them along the ground and then up, the picking height remains the same. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 20:39:00 »
thanks all, good advice. i'm growing vintage wine, lemon tree, banana cream and christmas grapes which are all heritage varieties apparently.

vintage wine is amazing, the leaves are not even slightly tomato like with smooth edges like aubergines.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 20:59:06 »
vintage wine is amazing, the leaves are not even slightly tomato like with smooth edges like aubergines.

That`s `potato leaf` quite a few varieties have those leaves-especially some of the older heritage types.

It took me a couple of seasons to convince customers that it is quite normal-and just to get confusing the odd variety gives both shapes.

As for when to stop them-it depends on available room and the growing condition-it comes down to trial and error for what suits you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal