Author Topic: No fruit on trees this year? :-(  (Read 13819 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
No fruit on trees this year? :-(
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:05:30 »
I wonder if anyone else on the forum has the same problem as us gardeners down south this year. 

Despite there being blossoms in the spring there is no fruit on any of my trees this year - apple and plum - I only have a couple of sickly looking cherries but after speaking to my lottie neighbours he says that he also does not have any fruit this year.  I can’t believe that last year this time we were thinning the poor apple tree out as it was groaning under all the fruit.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

heyho

• Not So New ...
Re: No fruit on trees this year? :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:16 »
Funny you should say that but one of my apples which fruited prolifically last year never flowered and has not one fruit on it yet the other tree next to it, which didn't fruit last year has plenty this.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:04 »
same here plenty of flowers but no fruit

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:16:51 »
Cherry had 2 flowers, set 2 fruit which went yellow and dropped off.

Apple is fine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:19 »
yep..we've bits and pieces, the only one any good is the big apple at home (we think it's tapped into the main drain, shhhhh)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:22:12 »
My apples are fine but my pear has no fruit at all, even though it blossomed prolifically. Think it was probably a frost around blossom time that did it.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:24:15 »
I am in Kent (Greenhithe) and have a Victoria Plum tree in my garden which is laden with fruits which are growing ok.
twinkletoes

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:59:26 »
Our trees are all very young, so we don't have great expectations of them, but the rather strong winds and cold wet weather certainly destroyed a lot of the blossom.  Neither of our plum trees has any significant set of fruit, and of the three apples, only one, a Fiesta, has set well.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:59:23 »
blossom that fails is either due to the fact that it isn't viable, i.e. the tree is too young and it just falls off or it could have been that cold spell after the rather warm early spell we had and this has spoilt the blossom - it is just nature's way

my damson and 2 pears that have for the past few years been prolific (in fact prolific is too less a word for the fruit we have had) decided not to even blossom this year - reason? - I think they decided they needed a rest  :)

apples are looking to be excellent though this year

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:06:18 »
My gage tree produced a glut of fruit last year but the crop looks like being feeble this year. Maybe it's because the tree needs a rest.  Or maybe it's because the leaves are covered in greenfly and have curled up. We don't seem to have quite so many ladybirds and lacewings this year to keep the greenfly under control. :-[
Keep Calm and Carry On

dazdread

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:07:15 »
Hate to say but here in the Midlands my plum tree is showing the strain already, the wild cherry trees look well stockes and my apple tree is over endowed.

Must be a regional thing.

Darren

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:46:01 »
hiya, paul Long, welcome to the site, I 've noticed a lack of ladybirds and lacewings, I've ordered 50 ladybird larvae to help in the poly
uckily there are lots of hoverflies around  ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 13:43:35 »
In the North West
Plums & greengages, just a few, they blossomed first so I think it may have been too cold for the insects.
Apples, cooking and eating loaded
Pears more than enough
Cherries plenty of fruit

Gooseberries look a bit mediocre.

The black berry bushes both cultivated and wild are full of blossoms.
Currants and Rhubarb are fine too

Strawberries are very plentiful.

There has been a shortage of bees in some areas, this might add to the problem. Don't think I would fancy trying to do a tree with a cotton bud as an alternative though.

Spanner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 14:36:40 »
I was hoping to have some fruit this year as I planted 2 apples, a pear and 2 plum in spring 2007. Everything flowered but only the bramley that flowered later has got any fruit. Am quite disappointed but there's always next year!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 23:33:57 »
Two pear trees, one plum, one apricot and two nectarines and not a single fruit even though there was blossom on each tree. Even the morello cherry which usually has masses of fruit has very few, very small cherries gradually ripening. Funnily enough two of Gordon's four apple trees are loaded this year and he is only 5 miles from here. So at least we should be making some crumbles come September  :).

Tricia

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 23:49:59 »
Apples, pears, quinces, cherries all ok and carrying fruit - damson, greengage & other trees look dismally light on fruit this year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 07:43:56 »
Lots of flowers and lots of developing fruit on mine. On the other hand, the rhubarb is looking a bit on the weak side, and the Dracunculus is pathetic. There's no doubt they were affected by all the waterlogging last year.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 19:41:55 »
Sweet cherry has got a few fruit on still, but plums, damsons and morello cherry have nothing :'( - will have to check the the hedgerows this year
Apples, red/whitecurrants, goosegogs rasps are fine ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 20:24:09 »
One apple tree has fruit, the other has nothing.
The quince has less than last year, but it was quite heavily pruned this year.
The cherry is good, but nothing on the plum at all.
Gooseberry, red/blackcurrants, rasps all fine.
The sloe looks as if there will be less fruit this year - ahhh - less sloe gin!!!!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 15:14:37 »
My gage tree produced a glut of fruit last year but the crop looks like being feeble this year. Maybe it's because the tree needs a rest.  Or maybe it's because the leaves are covered in greenfly and have curled up. We don't seem to have quite so many ladybirds and lacewings this year to keep the greenfly under control. :-[

Apples, pears, gooseberries, raspberries and strawberries are now all fruiting beautifully. The "autumn" raspberries are already producing loads of fruit. Currants - black, red and white - are not so good but I only planted them this year.  There are now about 20 developed fruits on the gage tree (pathetic) and 10 on the Victoria plum (even more pathetic). A bit of a mystery to me.
Keep Calm and Carry On

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal