Author Topic: New Potatoes  (Read 4671 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
New Potatoes
« on: June 08, 2008, 20:27:08 »
The only ones, really, worth growing? But don't wait until they are bakers - happens so quickly.

Rather than firkle or fumble this year, I've lifted the whole thing & replanted if unacceptable.

Can't expect a barrowful at 66 days but, as mentioned earlier, the very first ones really are a treat. Sceptre & Red Duke of York were only just worth the effort, but Pentland Javelin was one to watch. Mostly marble size, with one or two up to 2", there were 20 tubers per plant. That's something for a first early?

Gazfoz

• Acre
Re: New Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 20:34:42 »
I lifted two Arran Pilots this evening and got just over a kilo of spuds ranging from marble size to bigger than a hens egg. some of the larger ones had split, steamed them all up for dinner served with some steak off the bbq, they were superb, creamy and sweet.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 20:37:03 »
How many days?

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 20:45:37 »
I didn't keep an exact record of the planting date Tim but I did put them in fairly early, before the last couple of frosts. They were well up, in fact falling over despite being earthed up when they first showed and had been in flower for well over a week.

jo9919

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 20:57:00 »
It was my first year last year growing potatoes (in containers). I chose Pentland Javelin, just because they were provided at the local garden centre in small quantaties.

I planted three seed potatoes in a large container and lifted them after 51 days. I got 50+ spuds, only a few marble sized, the majority were slightly smaller than an egg, and a few egg sized.

They were delicious with butter and mint, but I think growing for the first time, anything would have been welcome  :)

I've chosen Pentland Javelin again this year, but I've got lots of containers going this time, I can't get enough of them  ;D

Jo.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 21:33:50 »
I have limited space so I just grow 1st and 2nd earlies.I chose Orla and Charlotte this time. Wont bother with Orla again, as yet not had many, but what we did have were pretty tasteless. Shame, as we were looking forward to them :(
Smile, it confuses people.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 21:47:04 »
dug up lots of volunteers this evening and eating them tonight. Delicious! First earlies are almost ready - planted 21st April.

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 21:59:13 »
Pentland Javelin & Sharpes' Express now been in 70 days, how long do you reckon they should have before being eating size Tim? Must have a look next weekend.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:51:37 »
the vales emerald, some of us got these for 1.99 p&p, are ready for eating on our plot, just had a meal from them, well, you have to try..but , we're still eating the rocket though  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 07:05:15 »
I lie - I planted them on 5th April.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:10:24 »
Is the rule of thumb to wait until they flower to harvest the early ones???
I'm trying some in two tubs for the first time- red ones that sprouted, bought originally to eat, not seed potatoes. Haven't seen any flowers yet.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 10:48:31 »
Some great results there? I am NOT a potato expert. But:

1. 'They' say that you can sample New Potatoes a week after they flower. I take that as 'in full flower'.

2. Others' say 13 weeks for earlies. But. as we've seen, as little as 56 days can produce a meal?

3. If you have plenty of plants, I think it's worth a look early. The first ones are such a delight. As I say, replant & water in immediately if too early.

4. Emerald are way behind our 1st Earlies. But then they are not 'earlies', but 'salad potatoes'.

5. Eating size? Gourmet or profitable??

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:02:14 »
The RHS reckons 13 weeks for earlies.  Lifting one plant per person for a handful of marbles seems a bit extravagant to me, but each to their own I suppose!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:27 »
Yes - but SO nice. And, as said, you CAN replant the plant!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:50:12 »
I have limited space so I just grow 1st and 2nd earlies.I chose Orla and Charlotte this time. Wont bother with Orla again, as yet not had many, but what we did have were pretty tasteless. Shame, as we were looking forward to them :(

I've read somewhere that Charlotte benefit from being stored for a few weeks after harvesting. As I'm near to harvesting some, can anyone vouch for this?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 11:55:18 »
Is the rule of thumb to wait until they flower to harvest the early ones???

so many spuds do not flower so it is best to go by time 12 weeks is usually the minimum but you can try earlier if you can accept much smaller ones as you will obviously be leaving the rest in the ground to harvest as and when you want them so as time goes by they will get bigger

syrahsuzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 14:42:42 »
First time growing potatoes.  Had a lot of help and advice from 89 year old neighbour.

I posted on here about storm damage to the flower stem a couple of weeks ago.

Lifted 2 plants yesterday and got about 20 egg-size potatoes - delicious for supper with our first mangetout and some of our strawbs for afters.

They were a french variety - Belle de Fontenay - planted on 4th April, so 65 days.  The packet said 110 days.  Glad I had a look.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 14:51:44 »
I did BdF last year - fabulous flavour

basically potatoes are ready when they are ready  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 17:32:37 »
Another success story!!  Just goes to show that guide lines are guide lines?

But let us not forget your location!

And although a said 'marbles' for Javelin, remember Sceptre some days ago?

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 18:02:26 »
90 days the old chaps here say 90 days. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal