Author Topic: Butternut squash  (Read 2308 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Butternut squash
« on: June 15, 2008, 21:39:03 »
Thought I'd posted this question a couple of days ago but can't find it- must have been a senior moment!

I planted out my pumpkins, courgettes and butternut squash on 6th June, all in the same bed. Pumpkins and courgettes are looking fine, but the squash leaves are looking rather droopy and seem to have a slight "bloom". Any ideas what this might be and is it likely to affect the others?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 22:24:45 »
there all very hungry feeders its possible you need to add something to the soil like chicken poo and you need to give at least a pint of water to each plant until it flowers then double.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 22:27:47 »
Could be powery mildew cubrites sometimes get it when conditions are faverable Spraying with mancozeb gives some protection.Removing diseased material will reduce the spread. the disease occurs outdoors in a warm dry summer and under glass. It is encouraged by dry soil combined with a moist atmosphere."
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 23:26:03 »
Seems to me that loads of people get this on squash, courgette leaves etc, and it dowsn't seem to do any harm if you leave it. If the leaves get really manky I cut the worst ones off. Personally wouldn't bother spraying as it never seems to affect the fruit at all.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:56 »
I've had mildew on courgettes before, but usually towards the end of the season. Will give the squash some extra tlc and see what happens.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 18:57:40 »
Our butternut squashes invariably look like this every year, probably in our case because initial growing conditions are not ideal, viz. window ledges. Although each plant is then put out eventually on a soil mound with a dollop of well-rotted manure underneath they can sit there for best part of a month, not knowing whether to live or die, before eventually getting a move on.

So I would not worry too much. You could try a foliar feed or two in an attempt to get them going sooner.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 20:27:57 »
Maybe I am wrong, but butternut squash seem to have more delicate leaves than courgettes and pumpkins and take offence at the slightest hint of insult, lack of moisture or strong sunlight.

It appears that the leaves are quick to lose their turgidity, but rapidly recover when conditions are favourable.

Look at my site to see the Mark 2 squash houses:-

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 21:50:36 »
Thanks for the encouragement!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal