Author Topic: My allotment  (Read 3814 times)

marie59

• Not So New ...
My allotment
« on: June 02, 2008, 19:58:21 »
Some pictures taken today at my allotment, hope were going to get some summer !!  :)

Carrots in a bin

Potatoes

rasberries

cabbages

onions

Italian tomatoes, hope they grow !!

more carrots and some beetroot

slug picnic !!! :o

snail death wish  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: My allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 20:14:16 »
Wow, that looks great! Please tell me you are further south then me!

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 20:16:10 »
my rasberries are only 8/10 inch tall wow =-  im gona do something similar with more carretts soon - but im gona use some old tyres stacked up on each other.

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 14:56:04 »
yes I live in Hertfordshire  :)

The raspberries are the fruits of last years canes and these are summer fruiting canes.    I think autumn canes are better because you can just cut them down after fruiting and then next year they sometimes fruit twice summer and autumn.

I got the idea for the carrot bin from the TV gardeners world programme  ;D  its supposed to prevent carrot fly attack, this is the first time im trying it and they look good so far  :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 15:03:49 »
Looking good Marie!

Your tomatoes look good - I am growing two types of italian ones - one is the plum shaped one and the other is a beef tomato!  It will be interesting to see how they turn out!

Keep us posted - pictures are great - hopefully you sent "death wish snail" a few allotments up!

Old Bird

;D

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 16:42:18 »
Those spuds are enormous - do you earth them up at all or just let them get on with it?

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 19:14:35 »
How far up did you fill the carrot bin to start with? I think I might do this - I'm having no success at all (well 3 carrots germinating out of 6 sowings!!) so have to do something.

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 13:19:37 »
my rasberries are only 8/10 inch tall wow =-  im gona do something similar with more carretts soon - but im gona use some old tyres stacked up on each other.

I think the old tyres will work a treat too.     I believe you can also plant potatoes in old tyres and as you earth them up you just pop another tyre on top and build up the three potatoes until you have reached four or five tyres high.      Unless we have a summer of Mud Island like last year and there is no blight around from too much rain all should be grand.   Good luck

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 13:28:26 »
Those spuds are enormous - do you earth them up at all or just let them get on with it?

This ground was covered in Black berries and I got rid of them and then put 10 bags of old horse manure down and planted them closer than what they should have been just to get the ground going.   I also have not earthed them up this time around because they are so close>  They are looking after themselves

Don't  think I am crazy but I am also trying to plant according to the Lunar calendar.  I am using a book called Gardening and planting by the moon 2008 by Nick Kollerstrom  who is the BBC's Lunar Gardening Corespondent.    I believe that I am definitely having much more success than previously. :D

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 13:32:46 »
Looking good Marie!

Your tomatoes look good - I am growing two types of italian ones - one is the plum shaped one and the other is a beef tomato!  It will be interesting to see how they turn out!

Keep us posted - pictures are great - hopefully you sent "death wish snail" a few allotments up!

Old Bird

;D
Hi Old Bird     Sound like I am growing the same ones as you are too   I have been given some alicanti's to-day which I am going to plant there as well just in case the Italieans don't like the climate.     My son took the pictures I am not that hot at all the IT stuff He is thinking of going to Australia one day don't know what I will do then. :)

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 13:39:07 »
How far up did you fill the carrot bin to start with? I think I might do this - I'm having no success at all (well 3 carrots germinating out of 6 sowings!!) so have to do something.
I filled the bin up with old compost except for the last 6 inches or there about.    Then I put a small layer of new stuff on top so that the seeds would germinate.  I keep this at home so was able to water very gently everyday until they started feeling like they were on their way.   They did take a long time to germinate about 2 to 3 weeks I nearly gave up on them when bingo they started showing up .   Keep on trying   every body has failure and they just sow some more.    Carrott seeds must be quiet fresh like lettuce otherwise not sucessful.   My seeds were about three years old though so maybe that's a fib.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 16:39:12 »
Looking good Marie, hope you put the snail to the sword.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 16:50:51 »
yes stick him sharp stick in the eye  ha ha lol

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 21:51:46 »
i like to give my snails a free flying lesson  ;D
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 13:09:15 »
I use any foolish enough to venture on my plot as cane tops as a warning to the others.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

marie59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 21:40:35 »
Looking good Marie, hope you put the snail to the sword.  ;D ;D ;D
I tried that the other day and I could swear that I heard the slug crying and since then I have found it a bit difficult to be violent just now give me a few more weeks of losses and I will be back to the old ways again  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 23:26:43 »
"quote Don't  think I am crazy but I am also trying to plant according to the Lunar calendar.  I am using a book called Gardening and planting by the moon 2008 by Nick Kollerstrom  who is the BBC's Lunar Gardening Corespondent.    I believe that I am definitely having much more success than previously. "
Good Book! and it seems to work! (see my other posts for photo's of a no-dig, moon-planted plot. Rgds, Tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal