Author Topic: Automated irrigation,, with no electricity.  (Read 2204 times)

satt-guy

Automated irrigation,, with no electricity.
« on: May 23, 2008, 21:17:10 »
Hello,
I am looking to get an allotment, but there will be no electricity.
Do you think it would be possible to make up an automated drip-irrigation system?

I will have a water reservoir, at atmospheric pressure. So I will connect an electric pump to it, supplied from a petrol-fueled generator.  I don't know though whether it would be possible for the irrigation timer to switch on the generator and hence operate the pump (which is left always switched on).  The system is turned off by the timer, which shuts down the generator, shutting down the pump.

Anyone has anything of the sort?
 ;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: Automated irrigation,, with no electricity.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 21:24:52 »
Hello Satt-guy welcome to A4A.
I have never seen a system like that on the lottie but it sounds good.You may have a problem with noise from the generator though as most plot holders enjoy the peace and quiet. :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 21:45:15 »
He will have a bigger problem keeping it.  Wont take long for a tea leaf to catch onto that noise.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 23:41:57 »
What about a solar powered pump connected to a water butt.
It would regulate itself, coming on when the weather is hot and sunny.

You could always buy a watering can.  ;D

Do plants really need an irrigation system, as weeds on unwatered areas seem to do very well.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:21:19 »
Sat guy,
              I have recently set up a similar system that now runs from two water butts which are raised up off the ground to create downward pressure so I don't have to mess about with pumps, the only draw back is that I don't have any kind of timer to turn it on or off but I can leave the system turnede on very slightly which now means I can go away to the I-O-W for two weeks and still come back to my Tomato plants but a lotty neighbour said he would keep an eye on them :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 14:17:10 »
Sat guy,
              I have recently set up a similar system that now runs from two water butts which are raised up off the ground to create downward pressure so I don't have to mess about with pumps, the only draw back is that I don't have any kind of timer to turn it on or off but I can leave the system turnede on very slightly which now means I can go away to the I-O-W for two weeks and still come back to my Tomato plants but a lotty neighbour said he would keep an eye on them :)

Mr Smith As the outflow through the irrigation drip from the barrel would not be as great as the inflow from the tap why not try a toilet flush system. As the depth of the water in the barrel goes down so does the ball which in turn opens the valve of the systom to allow water into the barrel.

Yours
Mr Anderson.

DAVY

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:00:08 »
Mr Anderson ,
                     I don't have the facility of a permanent water connection :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 15:06:13 »
Mr Smith
             I suppose thats knacked that idea then.

Mr Anderson

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 14:40:38 »
hiya, satt-guy, nice to meet you, will watch with interest as we could do with something similar for the poly  :)

satt-guy

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 17:17:25 »
seems like it's not so easy as i described it...

what everyone else is telling me is to leave a 1000litre tank running or else to time how long a petrol pump would consume a given amount of petrol and leave it running until it uses it all up

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 17:40:20 »
someone on ours has 2water butts, up on bricks with an irrigation system attached, timer (battery controlled) attached, he still hasn't got it working , something to do with pressure..if he ever gets it going, I'll post how he does it  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 07:57:19 »
If you look on the 'Easy Watering' web site you can pick up a 12volt battry timer for £29.00 with the connections to plumb right into your system there is also a mechanical one  for £13.00, easy just look  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:58:33 by Mr Smith »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:29 »
We use this stuff http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=R-POR&recno=4

If you connect it to a suitably raised water butt (or series of water butts), it will deliver a trickle of water while you're away.

If you're away for a long time, you merely need to ask someone to fill up the water butts, which isn't a big task.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:31:21 »
someone on ours has 2water butts, up on bricks with an irrigation system attached, timer (battery controlled) attached, he still hasn't got it working , something to do with pressure..if he ever gets it going, I'll post how he does it  ;D

You can calculate the pressure of your water butt by measuring the vertical distance from the water in the top of the barrel to whatever level it is going to end up.

Typical tap water supply = ~40 psi
Water butt at ground level = ~4 psi

Increase the height of the barrel to increase the pressure typically it would need to be a minimum of 2' off the ground.
You can use this equation to calculate how high the barrel needs to be to acheive the desired pressure.
Pressure (psi) = Vertical Feet x 0.433 psi/ft

I had to look into all this when I designed a system for someone to flush their toilet with rainwater. Water pressure was the biggest problem to overcome.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 11:48:42 »
Baccy man,
                    That is more or less how my system works I have a drip feed from my two water butts which gives me about 75 gallons of water which is sufficient for when I go away on mi hols, but after setting all this up a lotty neighbour said he will keep an eye on my Toms :)

satt-guy

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 20:22:08 »
Thanks fo ryour replies,

I took the cue from an earlier message, and rather than a petrol pump I am considering the following:

PV cell -> batteries -> inverter to give 230V -> electric pump and timer -> drip irrigation.

Anyone has a similar layout?

Thanks!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal