Author Topic: another quick question (i think lol) .... spuds  (Read 2484 times)

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
another quick question (i think lol) .... spuds
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:37:14 »
 :o

where are all you guys upto with your spuds? our first crop is about ready and hoping to plant a maincrop in a week or two, are we behind? i usually am lol  :-\

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: another quick question (i think lol) .... spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:54:19 »
My earlies are all flowering, but I haven't had a furtle yet..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:56:42 »
a furtle? that sounds like fun!  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:56:52 »
I think you might be pushing the envelope a bit with maincrops, but provided you are not in an area that gets early autumn frosts I'd say nothing ventured....

I put some second earlies (which normally have a shorter growing period than main) in a bag  in early October for Christmas and ended up harvesting them in May :)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 13:05:53 by Barnowl »

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 13:04:32 »
Cheers! we usually dont get an early frost do our lottie being only a ten min walk to nottingham city center, think it keeps us a bit warmer or so they say! not sure if this is true!  ???

gues the only thing to do is give it a try! are maincrop spuds still available?

if not i'm gonna grow a whole bed of radish, not sure why but i know they'l grow :0)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 13:06:16 »
a furtle? that sounds like fun!  ;D

PS Historically on this board I think we've used firkle, but I like furtle:  it sounds like a furtive form of footle (although that's in the dictionary so might be disallowed) :)

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 13:08:11 »
It is Usual to plant all spuds, early and lates within a few weeks of one another (April-ish) the different types refers to the length of time they take to grow. You are a bit late to be planting maincrop, get them in asap and you should get some crop, if a smaller yeald.

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 13:13:38 »
I See! thanks for that Stevens! it all makes sence now, i was under the impression you planted them in sucsession, not realising that the early mid late reffered to when there dug up not when there set!  oh well, i'll try for a maincrop if not i'll wait till next year!

my earlies are about to flower! gonna give this furtle mullaky a go  :0)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 13:20:29 »
I think the word furtle is a brilliant description for a furtive feel...now this is beginning to sound a bit pervy...YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN, I'M TALKING POTATOES HERE!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Honestly! ;D :-[
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 13:43:23 »
haha infact i may have a furtle down the lottie with sarah and ian later... your right it does sound a little perverse!

If I do end up making my earlies the only spuds i grow this year has anyone got any idead of anything (other than raddish) that i can stick in the bed? i know its late! how time flies

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 13:55:35 »
... has anyone got any idead of anything (other than raddish) that i can stick in the bed? ...

Not all that long back, someone posted a website with a seriously good crop rotaion planner; what to put where after/before what & when.

Anyone remember what it was, coz I could do with a reminder  ::)

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 14:18:40 »
hey, just had a search back through the forums was it www.growveg.com?

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 14:35:26 »
Hi Steve,

You could plant a bed of brassica's, Suttons are doing a good offer on 50 plants for 10.99 or something like that, they are cabbages, brocolli and cauliflowers.

I tried to find some seed potatoes as I wanted to try to put a late crop in but couldn't find any anywhere.  I know Wyevales, last week, were selling all their pots off for 50p a bag but I was too late.

Sinbad

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 14:53:03 »
I have just started to harvest my first earlies(rocket) I have some broccoli (purple and white sprouting) growing ready to follow on. I do this every year with no problem, saves a lot of space, and brassica plants like to have their roots undercut as this stimulates better root development.
You can also try leaving a few of your early spuds in the light, until they turn green, then replant for an autumn crop, (early refers to length of time in ground) early peas can also be late plantedas a follow-on crop. I plant some runner beans in late july/early august, this usually gives me fresh beans 'til november!
(I garden in the east near the coast), and seem to get away with it. rgds, tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 14:57:00 »
Steve, forgot to mention, yes being in a city does protect from frost to a certain extent, Will Giles has a tropical garden in the heart of Norwich!! www.exoticgarden.com rgds Tony
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 15:08:15 »
As regards to planting potatoes etc late. Have  listen to gardeners question time, This weeks had a question about it.

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 15:43:57 »
what stations that on? i'll do some listen again!

I cant believe it, if yoiu'd of asked me a 18 months ago if i thought id wanna tune in to a gardening radio show i would of run a mile! i'm happy i've found my green fingers! infact i think allotmenting is really increasing in pupularity! So many of my work friends of all ages have\want allotments! :0)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 16:25:31 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/gqt

I don't know if this link will work. worth a try. Radio 4 this week if you can't get the link to work.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 16:26:53 »
we're planting half the early spud bed with leeks, next year, it'll be the squash bed, means the leeks don't get in the way  ;D

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 19:04:10 »
You can also try leaving a few of your early spuds in the light, until they turn green, then replant for an autumn crop,

That sounds interesting, does it work?Do they come up like earlies?
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal