Author Topic: Pride before a fall with poppy  (Read 1409 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Pride before a fall with poppy
« on: June 10, 2008, 17:20:55 »
After seeing Tim's post, it seemed an appropriate title.
My purple poppy plants which were growing so robustly now have black aphids on the leaf undersides plus dry brown patches on leaves, curled tips-whether this is due to aphids or not, I don't know.  Tried sponging the aphids with soapy water but heard some leaves crack.  I hate to water them more since we've had a good bit of rain.
There was only one ladybug going after the aphids.

I'm so disappointed- had really looked forward to my first purple poppy.  Any grand suggestions? 
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Pride before a fall with poppy
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 23:20:16 »
Try again with the soapy water, and don't stint on the normal watering - a grower told me that they get a second flush of flowers off these plants with good watering. I've ever managed it myself!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Pride before a fall with poppy
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 18:59:27 »
Try again with the soapy water, and don't stint on the normal watering - a grower told me that they get a second flush of flowers off these plants with good watering. I've ever managed it myself!
Okay- have washed behind their ears again with soapy water- one plant looks like it has two feet in the grave but one has the beginnings of a bud so there is hope yet! 
I'm guessing with your lovely coolish summers you can get a second flush while we cannot.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal