Author Topic: How much sunshine do chickens need?  (Read 1995 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
How much sunshine do chickens need?
« on: June 03, 2008, 14:24:22 »
We’re just starting to toy with the idea of keeping some chickens on the allotment.  The thing is that there’s a plot that no-one wants.  It’s shaded by mature trees along the western boundary.  It gets some sun early on, but by late morning it’s in shadow as the sun moves westwards.

[attachment=1]

And of course the trees suck the moisture and nutrients from the ground, so very little can grow there.  In the three years that we’ve been on the allotment, only one chap was brave enough to take it on, and he rapidly gave it up for an alternative half plot.

In the experience of A4A’ers, could we keep chickens there in spite of the shade?  It has the advantage of being relatively sheltered from south westerly winds, and it’s mostly dry when the trees are in leaf, unless it really tips it down.

Oh, we're allowed to keep chickens on the allotment - we already checked.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: How much sunshine do chickens need?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 14:30:36 »
I am sure that chickens would not mind having only a bit of sun for part of the day!

Especially ex battery ones that have never seen the sun or the sky or daylight ever!

I am sure that so long as they are not too exposed on a wet and windy site they would love it!  As yours is protected from a fair bit of wind and wet sounds IDEAL!

GO FOR IT!  You won't regret it! Promise!

Mine are just so sweet - all talking away to me - all you do is say "Hello Girls" and they all come up to the gate chattering away like mad and they are really pleased to see you!  The eggs are out of this world too!

Don't hesitate!

Old Bird

;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 17:10:53 »
Sunshine is a nicety not a necessity.  Daylight will keep them just as happy.  As previously said - protection from the elements is the main priority.  It will be fine.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 19:44:26 »
would agree with everything that's been said. 

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27:06 »
Thanks everyone.  And it's a good idea to try for some rescued battery hens.  We might just do that!

But first, I need to get the plot and establish some fox-proof fencing for a run, before getting housing and hens.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:42:05 »
Melbourne - Put your name down for your rechargeable batteries soon.  There is so much demand that  there is now a waiting list!  They don't charge for them although they had quoted me a donation of 50p per bird!!!  I gave £20 for 12 as I thought that was only fair to the people that run the Battery Hen Welfare Trust!  I have already made that back with their eggs!

Let us know how you go!

Old Bird!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal